Highlighted

Problem joining path

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to all. I have a map and it is made out of small paths. I can join parts of the shape but not all of it. And after making bigger paths, I am not able to join them together. here is the file see if you can do it. Thanks in advance

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by pixxxel_schubser | Most Valuable Participant

Like I said before: to much anchor points.

I saw similar error messages while testing my own scripts in the past. It seems sometimes Illustrator has a problem with to much objects/pathPoints.

One possible solution: break down the amount of anchor points. For example - draw a vertical line over your map. And create a Live Paint Group only "part for part".

interaktivMalen_Slowen01.pnginteraktivMalen_Slowen02.pnginteraktivMalen_Slowen03.pnginteraktivMalen_Slowen04.pnginteraktivMalen_Slowen05.png

cleaned and merged

interaktivMalen_Slowen06.png

Topics

Bug, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Problem joining path

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to all. I have a map and it is made out of small paths. I can join parts of the shape but not all of it. And after making bigger paths, I am not able to join them together. here is the file see if you can do it. Thanks in advance

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by pixxxel_schubser | Most Valuable Participant

I saw similar error messages while testing my own scripts in the past. It seems sometimes Illustrator has a problem with to much objects/pathPoints.

One possible solution: break down the amount of anchor points. For example - draw a vertical line over your map. And create a Live Paint Group only "part for part".

interaktivMalen_Slowen01.pnginteraktivMalen_Slowen02.pnginteraktivMalen_Slowen03.pnginteraktivMalen_Slowen04.pnginteraktivMalen_Slowen05.png

cleaned and merged

Topics

Bug, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 19, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kamran,

You can only have two path segments joining in an Anchor Point.

It is possible to start each of the open border paths leading away from Austria, such as the German/Czech border, with an end Anchor Point that coincides with the Anchor Point you wished to attach it to (the one where all the three countries meet); and you can Group the paths.

Smart Guides being your friends, to start a new path in that way, you can press P for Pen Tool to start a new path, then Click and hold close to the desired starting point and press the Spacebar and Move the new Anchor Point to snap (Smart Guides say anchor when you are within snapping distance).

Or if you need closed borders round the surrounding countries, you can copy the relevant stretch of path segments along the Austrian border and continue from that for the first neighbouring country (and copy the relevant part of that for the next one(s).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you I'll try this

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have given a bad example I changed it to map of Slovenia. Sorry but I didn't quite understand what you said. What is the best way to have a solid path for this map I have tried live paint but it gives an unknown error. Thanks in advance

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is such a maximum on precision needed? So much anchor points?

Use Live Paint Tool (hope you have enough computing power) and afterwards merge the parts of same color.

austria.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It gives an unkown error so I thinkI dont have enough power. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cleaned and merged

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kamran,

I believe one of the troubles is Image Trace, maybe with inconvenient settings. In any case the astonishing number of path, some very very small, is troublesome in itself.

But obviously Hans-Jürgen has given the solution, for this case and undoubtedly for others to come.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this works!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2020 1