Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

problem trying to flip curve with pen tool in windows

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am trying to create this shape with the pen tool in windows. 

trying-to-create.png

I am having trouble with the final bit. I need to flip/reverse the direction of the curve my pen tool is creating, and I don't know how to do this in windows. I have been told that option is the mac shortcut, but when I tried alt with windows, it doesn't work. You can see what my pen tool is doing below. I moved it away from the final point so you can see the curve it is creating vs the curve I actually want in the pic above. Any help would be appreciated.

my-trouble.png

thanks

Rebecca

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

The shape you are drawing is symmetrical, so why not just draw half of it and reflect a copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Hi.

Here a little that may help you: Hexagonal

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

The usual way to make a sharp corner is to double-click with the Pen.

So click-drag, click-drag (to make the smooth anchors), then click-click (to make the sharp corner), then click-drag and so on. It's all quite easy once you get the hang of it. It's a good idea to outline some type to see the optimal positioning of anchors on curves. Smoothest curves have few anchors. Fiddle around with the anchor handles to see how curves can be altered.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shape you are drawing is symmetrical, so why not just draw half of it and reflect a copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve

I don't know how to do that, I am just learning illustrator. But I would also like to know how to flip the curve in case I needed it for a non symmetrical design.

thanks

Rebecca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Here a little that may help you: Hexagonal

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will still try and figure out how to use the pen tool in the other way in case I need to do it for something else, but I was able to create that shape easily by following your video. Many thanks.

Rebecca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual way to make a sharp corner is to double-click with the Pen.

So click-drag, click-drag (to make the smooth anchors), then click-click (to make the sharp corner), then click-drag and so on. It's all quite easy once you get the hang of it. It's a good idea to outline some type to see the optimal positioning of anchors on curves. Smoothest curves have few anchors. Fiddle around with the anchor handles to see how curves can be altered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Steve, I will try that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines