• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem when saving AI as PDF when colleague has PDF open. Then only tmp file but no error on screen

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve been experiencing difficulties when one of my colleagues have a pdf opened and I want to save an AI as the same PDF that already is opened by my colleague. I used to get an error message (as the file is in use) but in this latest version of Illustrator I don’t get this message. AI writes a TMP file to the folder, so it appears that it ‘knows’ that the PDF file is in use but still no message on my screen.

As a result the original PDF doesn’t change and as I don’t know this, we sent it out wrong.
This happens multiple times a day as I have multiple colleagues that are opening the PDF files. In a previous version I would check with my colleague to close the PDF file (after that I got the error message) and then I could save as PDF from AI again.

I have already reset my preferences but same result.

Could somebody please advise how to fix this?

TOPICS
Bug , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

If it used to work, but now doesn't work, then maybe you should post a bug report to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi you can choose from save as for which version pdf open easily...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ali,

Thank you for your reply. As my colleague Saskia is not working today, I reply for her. The problem is not to save as PDF that works. The problem is that when somebody else on the network has the old PDF open, that we don't get an error message 'file in use' got but that AI acts like the old PDF has been replaced by the new one. As it is not, we end up sending the wrong old PDF out and we have only access to the new file as an TMP file in the folder. We need to know how we can get this error message again when we try to save a PDF file that already is in use. Hope all clear and hope you or somebody else knows the answer to this. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it used to work, but now doesn't work, then maybe you should post a bug report to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines