Problems adjusting gradient across multiple items

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I've tweeted adobehelp about this problem but they don't seem to be able to replicate it.

FYI I'm using Windows 10/Illustrator 2021 on a new machine with all the latest updates.

When applying the gradient across multiple items with the gradient tool results in separate instances of the gradient. This means it's impossible to fine-tune the gradient across the all the items. In the past they would unify and could be fine tuned all at once. You'll see it's particularly a problem with radial gradients. Anyone else had this problem?

Please see the video below, which hopefully explains it better...

TOPICS
Bug, Draw and design, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Community Beginner , Dec 11, 2020
John_Lambert Community Beginner , Dec 11, 2020
Hi Anna - unfortunately it happens with grouped objects too. I don't think it is supposed to happen, as in my first post Adobehelp do not seem to be able to replicate the same behaviour.            EDIT: I've solved my own problem...You have to select all objects then > make compound path, then apply the gradientI found a tutorial hereI'm 90% sure this has changed recently as it is part of my occasional workflow.

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about not move the gradient lines but tune the stoppers in Gradient panel? Can it help?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anna

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, the stoppers in the gradient panel will change the gradient across the whole group of objects. However, it's no longer possible to resize, rotate or drag the stoppers on the on-screen gradient tool.

It was possible to do this in the past... it's now impossible to fine tune the gradient in the same way as separate instances on the gradient get created for each object.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, I maybe (I don't know really) it was made to increase the flexibility of a gradient work. You can bypass this creating the group from these objects and adding the across gradient as a new Fill (for group). But, sorry, if you ungroup it, the over Fill wil disappear.
You can add the feature request here https://illustrator.uservoice.com/ to and ask to return the old tool behavior

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anna - unfortunately it happens with grouped objects too. 😞

I don't think it is supposed to happen, as in my first post Adobehelp do not seem to be able to replicate the same behaviour.

Gradient-01.jpg

EDIT: I've solved my own problem...

You have to select all objects then > make compound path, then apply the gradient

I found a tutorial here

I'm 90% sure this has changed recently as it is part of my occasional workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant an over fill added to the whole group by Appearance panel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
John_Lambert AUTHOR LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thanks Anna - that also works!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines