• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question on Transparency

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with an image (I didn't create it) and I am trying to seperate layers so they are all seperate. One layer is a shaddow layer. But when I isolate that layer to save it, the image has a white background around the gradient. I just want the shaddow transparent so that the background shows through and you see whatever the background is not the white.  I have tried looking to see if I can change the background color but don't know how. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mel

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many tutorials on transparency layers- here is but one and hope that it helps, if not please let us know and we will dive deeper:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/transparency-blending-modes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check first if the white background you are seeing is not the paper color (which is not really white, just there to simulate how the design would look when printed on paper).

You can check it by showing the transparency grid: View > Show Transparency Grid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached a photo the top image is what it looks like in the editor. The bottom is what it looks like when it saves. I want the white aspect to be transparent and not sure how to do it. I went into the gradient which is what the shaddow are is and selected the white to be transparent but it doesn't work. So not sure if I'm in the right setting for it or what.'

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did not create the image with the dropshadow, there is not much you can do about it, the white background is part of the image.

Illustrator is not an image editor like Photoshop.

You can try to create something similar in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured out they used a mesh to create the shaddow. When I try to go in and change the white to transparent It helps but I have to change two different colors in the mesh then the shaddow doesn't look right.  Not sure how to recrate the look myself to achieve the effect I want. Just starting out so I am trying to play with images that were already created to learn how they have done things.  In the image the shaddow blends sleemlesly with the background. But when you seperate each image and export it the shaddow is what doesn't save correctly as a transparent. Is there somewhere the shows tutaorials on how to create shaddows as a sepreate transparent layer?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines