• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator error "An unknown error has occurred"

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in an .ai file that I have saved frequently before. Suddenly when I try to save the file, I get an error that reads "an unknown error has occurred" and the file won't save at all, anywhere. I have not seen this error message before and have had no issues opening or saving the file up until this point.

I need to have the file as an .ai file (not .eps or any other format). I am working in Illustrator CC (2015.3) and using macOS Sierra.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Do your files have linked assets?

A similar thread came up a long time ago and removing linked assets fixed it- one of them was corrupted.

Another solution would be to reset your Illustrator preferences (hold Shift+Opt+Cmd before startup).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about this experience. In addition to the suggestions given in earlier responses, we'd recommend you to update the app to the latest version. Steps are shared here.

If the issue still persist, you could check a few more things:

1. Is the file being saved on network drive/shared folder/external HDD? If yes, try saving it locally & see if it helps.
  2. Is the issue related to a specific file? If yes, please follow the steps shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 104 Replies 104
Explorer ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, this I haven't looked at or tried - thanks, I will see if it makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running El Cap 10.11.6 and have just started having the "unknown error" issue as well. However. I have NO locked or hidden layers. The only thing I can do is go to the Finder level, duplicate the file, then rename it. "Save as" results in the error. All of the posts I can find are from 2017 - it's well into 2018, has this not been fixed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving causes issues:

- install a printer and turn it on

- check your harddrive

- check your permissions

- save somewhere else to see if it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ('correct' answer) unlock layers thing didn't work for me but hiding all layers and then saving did.

Then by process of elimination by making each group visible and then saving as suggested already, I managed to whittle it down to a pattern fill in some simple objects (a newbie had created a colour swatch by dragging in a red box to the swatches panel). Once I selected all the objects filled with this 'pattern' swatch and changed it to a normal global colour swatch it saved no problem.

Of course this all took me hours to figure out but at least now I know how to fix it when it happens again. And it WILL happen again.

PS This was an issue on CC (mac and PC) and also CS6 (mac and PC). Original file was created by a client in CC using Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue in win10 and noticed that when I changed all text to arial font, the file was saved. Then I changed again to the previous font (myriad pro in my case) and noticed some mullfunctioning in presenting text. So I completely removed the font, restarted the computer, started illustrator to load fonts (while the specific was missing). Then closed illustrator, installed again the font and the problem disapeared. (Note: The problem had started after I installed a 64bit version of illustrator.) Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi...I was having the same issue in CC2019...It turns out 2 linked files disappeared (??) from the layers. They were showing there via bounding boxes but were not visible. I deleted both and reapplied them. Then the entire file saved without issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and I solved it by turning off all the layers except one simple layer without any transparency set etc. and then I saved it. It went without trouble. Then I was able to save again right after that, even with other layers turned on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem multiple times, including work that I about to lose today, in multiple versions of Illustrator ... and yes, restarting the program clears whatever the probem is, but you lose what you were working on as only the last saved version remains. I am on Windows 10, I update religiously. I can save my file as an SVG and PDF, but NOT an ai or eps file. I do save to a remote hard drive, but also tried to my dektop and no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is 7 pages long. I assume all kinds of possible solutions have been given. Did you read all pages and tried everything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i found the solution accidently.

just embedd all the pic in the document and....save!

solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi... I tried everything I still have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too... I'm using AI version 25.1 and I've tried everything as well - but the error still occurs when I try to save the file.

MAGNUS5C90_0-1612348183072.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread has 7 pages. Did you read everything and tried out all the tipps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika. Yes I've spent the past few hours looking through and trying every solution that people suggested, not one has worked for me. To me it sounds like the 'solution' is completely random, as most people seem to find the solution by trying completely methods. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"To me it sounds like the 'solution' is completely random,"

Exactly. It's a different cause for different people. If nothing helps, try and contact Customer Care. https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I will try and consult them. Thank you for the help 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I get this problem saving as an .ai file, I uncheck the create pdf compatible file box and it will save it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This just happened to me tonight for the first time after saving the same file multiple times. I tried another suggestion to make sure layers were unlocked and visible; that had no impact. This solution (unchecking "Create PDF Compatible File" on save properties) is the only one that worked for me.

Running Illustrator 25.1 (64-bit) on Windows 10 Enterprise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just Klik menu OBJECT  and than EXPAND and checklit 2 box >>ok   SAVE   ( problem solve )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about this experience. In addition to the suggestions given in earlier responses, we'd recommend you to update the app to the latest version. Steps are shared here.

If the issue still persist, you could check a few more things:

1. Is the file being saved on network drive/shared folder/external HDD? If yes, try saving it locally & see if it helps.
  2. Is the issue related to a specific file? If yes, please follow the steps shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html) to troubleshoot file related issues. You may also try copy-pasting the content to a new file & see if that works.

If nothing works, please try the suggestions given in this community post (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behaviors-in-illu...) & let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I have an error like in the photo. I can't open Adobe Illustrator, I've try to update my app, but nothing works. Can I uninstall Illustrator and again install? Thanks

Issue.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

''An unknown error has occurred'' when i try to save files. 
Someone can help me?

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try saving to a different location.

Try saving to a different version of Illy, or pdf.

What are the file characteristics? is it chock full of images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, when you get such an error copy that objects in photoshop as a smart object and saves it in PSD then close illustrator and double click on it then it will open in illustrator, you can save it...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is mostly informative to both the adobe community and developers.

Since the release of Illustrator 25.1 I've been unable to save in .ai and/or .eps on my local disk (HDD/SDD), so I've been forced to save everything in Adobve ccloud (.aic).

However, I recently seemed to find the issue: when choosing .ai/.eps as saving formats, I am forced to unlock and make ALL layers visible in order to be able to save on ANY local disk. Otherwise, it will throw the famous "An unknown error has occurred".

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines