Highlighted

"Can't make a group of objects that are within different groups"

Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a graphic of three different instances of the same shape. The object has a 3-D effect applied to it, however, which means that for some reason a single layer is common all three shapes. I would like to reposition one of the shapes, but I keep getting the error message as written above when I select the one object and try to group it away from the other two. How do you get around this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

"Can't make a group of objects that are within different groups"

Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a graphic of three different instances of the same shape. The object has a 3-D effect applied to it, however, which means that for some reason a single layer is common all three shapes. I would like to reposition one of the shapes, but I keep getting the error message as written above when I select the one object and try to group it away from the other two. How do you get around this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 24, 2012 0
Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that the layer in question which overlaps the three shapes is a compound path, so if I release the path, it alters the appearance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2012 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the solid arrow tool to make your selection and you will not get that error, as you will be selecting entire groups. If you find the solid arrow tool is making selections that are too large you will have to ungroup, should you have an effect applied at the group level, you will have to recreate that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2012 1
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what worked... what a relief... thank you! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can normally get around this sort of thing by direct selecting the object in question with Option/Alt held down. Cmd/Ctrl+X and then Cmd/Ctrl+F.

That way you have deleted the object from where it was and pasted it in the same X/Y position as it was, but it will now not be grouped with anything else.

A screen shot of your problem might help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2012 0
Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, guys. I used the pathfinder tool to divide then un group then select, cut and repaste in front and group the third object.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2012 0
Resources