• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Previous session of Illustrator running" message when launching Illustrator in Windows

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is a screenshot of the error that pops up when I attempt to launch Illustrator. This error has been occurring for 5 days. I have followed the error instructions to wait and try again later, but this has not fixed the problem. Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Screenshot (20).png

Thanks in advance for your help!

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind sharing some more information like:

1. Version of Illustrator and OS.

2. Have you tried task manager to check if there are Illustrator instances running? (You can right click on Start > Run > type "taskmgr.exe" and check the running instances. If you see Adobe Illustrator in the list, simply do a right click and click on End Task to close. I have attcahed a screenshot for your reference. Once done, try launching the Illustrator.)

Screenshot_4.png
Let us know ho

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind sharing some more information like:

1. Version of Illustrator and OS.

2. Have you tried task manager to check if there are Illustrator instances running? (You can right click on Start > Run > type "taskmgr.exe" and check the running instances. If you see Adobe Illustrator in the list, simply do a right click and click on End Task to close. I have attcahed a screenshot for your reference. Once done, try launching the Illustrator.)

Screenshot_4.png
Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ashutosh,

This worked! My background session of Illustrator has closed successfully.

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with AI 2021 v 25.2.  Yes, the task manager trick works, but I've never had to take this extra step before.  When I save & close, AI shuts down, and I can open it back up whenever.  Now I can't.  This must be a glitch in Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I'm having this problem too and I am wondering if I force the session to close will my data and last session be saved or not? 

thank you gemma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody will be able to give you any guarantee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , this is not working for me can you please help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create  a new thread and give us all your system info as well as a description of the issue.

Or contact Customer Care tohave them log into your system to figure it out: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! This absolutely worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open task manager illustrator is not there Im very lost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out thank u

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you figure it out? I also get this message and it's not found under the task manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you got any solution ?

How did you figure it out? I also get this message and it's not found under the task manager.

By @Cubicle Fugitive_William

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not working for me can you please help me(not find illustrator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up uninstalling the most recent version of Illustrator, since I didn't have this issue with the earlier version.  I don't allow auto-update, and will check with each new version whether Adobe fixed the issue or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines