• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Release to Layer" is crashing Illustrator; attempting to prep file for use in After Effects

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm attempting to release about 75 shapes into their own layers so that I can animate them in After Effects. When I select all of my shapes and attempt to run Release to Layer, I get a pause and then the indefinite pinwheel of death. I have to force quit before I can use Ai again. 

This is my first time trying to use Ae, so I followed some tutorials on how to setup an Ai file for ease of animating in Ae. Am I doing something wrong? Is 75 shapes too many to export? The file is a single 1920 x 1080 artboard. The most complicated shapes are maybe outlined text, though it's a sans serif without many curves. Even when I work in outline mode, the software crashes.

I'm using a 13-inch 2018 Macbook Pro running MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave with 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor and16 GB RAM. I have an Adobe CC plan.

Thanks for your insights!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

75 objects should not cause much trouble here.

Just tried it again with 250 objects and it worked properly, no matter what Release to Layers command I used (Sequence or Build).

Can you share your Illustrator sample file (.ai)? Perhaps it contains some unknown disturbance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's client work so I'd rather not show it here, but I can't see any issues in the file... Sometimes I will release the layers and it seems to work (each shape is separated) but then the software freezes and I have to restart; other times it freezes before anything seems to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would compound shapes cause an issue? I have a few rings and numbers / letters with cutouts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just tried it with 300 compound paths (and after that with 300 live compound shapes).

It still worked properly (on a pretty old narrow-chested Mac Mini).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines