• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Save as eps" and "Use Artboards" and transparency

Engaged ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have transparent objects on the pasteboard but no transparent object on the artboard and save as eps using artboards (Use Artboards selected with the artboard number in the range), the EPS Options window indicates "The document contains artwork that requires flattening". If I then delete all objects on the pasteboard and save as eps using artboards, the EPS Options windows no longer displays that message.

Why is saving as eps using artboards take into account objects that aren't on the artboard?

This is for CS4.

Thanks,

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving EPS with an "Illustrator EPS version" higher than 3, Illustrator will save the complete AI file into the EPS as private data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika. Thanks. I assume you mean greater than or equal to 3. Is this kind of information documented anywhere (or did you learn it the hard way)?

That being said, when I repeat this operation with PostScript LanguageLevel 2 (I had PostScript LanguageLevel 3 before), I still see the flattening message! What gives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when you save as EPS 3 you still get everything in the file?

I guess then you would need to set up a crop area. EPS was already dead before artboards even became a thing. Crop areas were dead when CS4 arrived or can you still make one? I'm too lazy to open CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if I get everything but when I save as EPS 2 or 3, I get the flattening message and the Transparency preset is not greyed out (unless I remove everything on the pasteboard, as described in the OP). The file size is slightly different between the 2. How do I see what's in the EPS file, including what is "private"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open an EPS in Illustrator, Illustrator will look for an embedded AI file. If it can't find one, it will open the EPS.

If you place the EPS, Illustrator will open the EPS part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened both files (saved as EPS 2 and 3) in AI and there is nothing on the pasteboard. But when I select a layer in the opened EPS files, I can see that the selection outline matches what was on the pasteboard of the original AI (from which I saved as EPS), but I don't see the objects nor can I select them with the selection tool. That goes for both EPS 2 and 3.

I'm a little mad at how AI is programmed. 😞 Full of unwanted surprises and inconsistencies. So much wasted time for users to debug the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might have more to do with the EPS standard than Illustrator itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not the part where it says Use Artboards and you then wonder why there is a message about transparency when there is no transparency on the artboard! And it's not documented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines