• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Some names of the files being saved contain non-latin characters" nag

Advocate ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export assets or "Save to web" using legacy export, I have started getting the "some names of the files being saved contain non-latin characters" nag window. And there are no non-latin characters in any of the file names. I can click "Don't show again" but why am I even getting it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you do not have trailing characters in the document name that your system cannot display?

Non-latin characters wont be visible in most cases.

Try selecting the entire name and wiping it out, then retyping the file name to see if you get the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As sure as I can be. If there are I didn't put them there. (Did as you suggested, no diff)

Also just realised it's only the Legacy Export which has this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same is happening to me. Also it is happening with virtually every file I export that way (loads of them) so they can't all contain non-latin characters. Must be a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I fugured out, that I had non-latin characters in the folder where to save the file. So it seems to check also the Path where it's saved. This could be a helpful hint in the error message to check the hole file path 😉

I hope this helps.

Thanks to ADOBE support to let this thread just unsupported!! We pay a monthly fee for our daily struggle since CC..

The reason why I have to save PNG via the (legacy) save-for-web export is: otherwise it just changes colors since some weeks 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big help, props onbeat_visuals!

Now let’s rant: WTF is Adobe doing checking the parent FOLDER and throwing an error? Now they want to dictate how I name my own folders on my own machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not only about your files names. Check the name of the path, too. Maybe there's some non-latin letter in use somewhere..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking the folder path worked for me. Photoshop didn't like that my file's parent folder had an em-dash in it. Changed it to a hyphen and the error stopped. Thanks @onbeat_visuals!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I check the folder path? I changed my 2 enclosing folder names but it is still giving me the message. It just started today - I have never had this problem and I always name my files the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go up to your root drive, like C: or D:, ...
Then check every folder down to the problem-file for non-latin or special characters. you need to change all of them.
Otherwise, copy the file you want to open directly to the root, e.g. D: and open it from there. That shoul work, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And make sure you check for non-obvious characters such as en dash. If the name looks OK, try retyping it in EACH directory component. This is checked because these names will cause problems if the folders are moved to a web server - and Export is for web graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I mean EXPORT the file directly to the root drive (e.g. C: ), not OPEN FROM .... 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is how do I check the path. I work on a Mac, using a portable hard drive for the files. When I cllck on the jpg it shows me the path - I have checked all of these. I even thought it might be that the indesign file was autosaving - you know how it shows weird file name - so I save and closed indesign. Still got the message. Put a folder on my desktop with the same name and save to that folder - no message. Not exactly sure where the problem might be - BUT - does it cause an actual problem if I compress only the jpgs into a zip file and just send those? I don't think there is a way for them to track back to my hard drive and the folder inside a folder inside a folder ...

Also wondering why would these files work Friday but not Monday?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is a way for them to track back to my hard drive and the folder inside a folder inside a folder ...
That's exacly what's happening. And each parent folder name can cause the error message.

PS: Handling with zipped folders won't help for less problems...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean if I send just the jpeg and it is used on the web as is - a static image - it won't try to find where it came from on my hard drive. Is that what you understood me to say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, if you can export your file, everything is fine. If you get an error message about critical letters, they might be not in the file name, instead they can be in any of the parent folders, but the error message isn't explaning that. That caused problems for some users and we tried to give hints to solve the problem here. The reason, explained by @Test Screen Name , might be that it's an export for web and later copied folder structures could also cause problems on servers, etc..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path is made up of all of the folders up to the top, and on Mac the volume name. You can also see the whole path using Get Info in Finder. If you still can't find the problem name, then please post a screen shot from Get Info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

 

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you have a mixture of hyphen and n-dash in the name of the parent folder. As I said, "If the name looks OK, try retyping it in EACH directory component. " 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sorry, I don't see that - only used regular dashes. I normally use underscores, but after reading all the threads on this post I changed them to dashes. Thanks so much all of you for all of your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines