• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Unable to set maximum number of files to be opened" in CS6 trial, CS5 runs fine

New Here ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to start up the CS6 trial on a mac running OS X 10.7.3, I get the following message: "Unable to set maximum number of files to be opened."  After clicking "OK" on that dialog, Illustrator quits.  Illustrator CS5 runs perfectly, as does Photoshop CS6 trial.

Searching for this error showed other people having this on much earlier versions of Illustrator as a result of their maxfiles limit being set too low.  The suggested fix was removing /etc/launchctl.conf to unset the limit.

Running `launchctl limit` show my maxfiles hard and soft limits are 10,000.  I do not have an /etc/launchctl.conf file, and running `mdfind launchctl` doesn't show any other config files with that name sitting elsewhere (like in /private).  Finally, I've run Repair Disk Permissions.

If anyone has ideas on what I can do to get Illustrator running on my computer, I'd appreciate it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi medgno_43

Just for confirmation. The build is installed on your machine is the official Illustrator CS6 trial that Adobe made avaliable for download today at this page: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=illustrator&loc=en_us ?

Did you try to trash preferences or reinstall Illustrator CS6? Does the problem persist?

Best Regards

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't install the version from that link, but I did install the official release of CS6 Web and Design Premium, and the application version is 16.0.0.  I both trashed the CS6 preferences and reinstalled Illustrator CS6, and I get the same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any whiteboard software installed? I think I remember this as being the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the same problem after upgrading from CS5 to CS6.  I found this solution: http://www.smarttech.com/us/Support/Browse+Support/Support+Documents/KB3/146595.aspx

This solved my problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lan,

I have facing same problem unable to set maximum number of files to be opened illustrator cs6 mac. Requesting you to please solve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I bought the CS6 Standard Suite Upgrade, and Illustrator gives me the exact same dialog, then quits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same issue. Cannot do anything to solve it. All the other CS6 programs work but not Illustartor. I installed it from the Design Premium CD I was sent by Adobe. Any ideas anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I´ll forward this post to an engineer from Adobe Illustrator Team. Will ask about this problem.

Thank you for bringing this issue. Expect to receive answers soon.

Best Regards

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Friends

I´m in contact with an engineer from Adobe Illustrator Team.

Could you please tell us if the SMART Product Drivers 10.6 are installed on your systems? http://smarttech.com/us/Support/Browse+Support/Support+Documents/KB3/146595.aspx

Also...could you please tell us if it happens to old Illustrator version?

This info will help the engineer to find the problem.

Thank you a lot

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gustavo

Thanks for the help...I don't think the SMART Product Drivers are installed. When I follow the procedure within terminal that you sent me to above, I get this:

Screen Shot 2012-05-10 at 14.00.35.png

My Illustartor CS5.1 is still working fine.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Nick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick

This is a note from the engineer:

"Launch terminal window on your Mac and type in ulimit. If you get anything other than unlimited you should change it back to unlimited.  There are plenty of web resources that you can use to find out more about this command and how to change it or you can ask on one of the MAC forums.

If you see the value unlimited and still see the error you should report back the bug to Adobe: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Gustavo.

Thanks for the suggestion but it hasn't helped!

I tried the above and I get unlimited:

Screen Shot 2012-05-10 at 16.17.59.png

I've reported the bug as you suggest on the link you sent.

Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick

Thank you

Your form is already with the engineers.

Thank you a lot

Best Regards

Gustavo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue from a fresh install today from the Creative Cloud. I don't have any SMART driver software installed and ulimit shows unlimited for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an ETA on this? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact problem with my newly downloaded Illustrator CS6.  It worked all day yesterday, and today I have this message.  Tried all the terminal commands as instructed above and no change.

CS 5.1 is working fine.

Any update on this issue is much needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new user accunt on your mac login using the newly created user and see if it changes things for you. Make sure you also have the latest OS updates installed on your mahine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, when launching Illustrator CS6 under a new user account, it runs fine. But how do I get it to run with my real account?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

Glad to see it works for you.

I reccomended a new user account to remove few variables. I have tried this on numerious occasions when I see something weird happening only for me. If it runs fine under new account that means you need to review one of the softwares in your startup or some MAC OS settings. Troubleshooting this may take lot of time, If you are short on time maybe you should just copy files from the old account and start using the new one.

-- All the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

Just to let you know. I just updated the OS (to 10.7.4) and now it works! I've done nothing else. I'll let you know if it keeps working.

Hope that works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nick320: Even reinstalling 10.6 would have worked or just creating a new account. Most of these issues impacting few users are related to OS settings.During the course of our working we install many softwares and few of these even change the default settings at times we also change settings that we do not recall changing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADBEDesigner, do you have any suggestions on where to start looking for software that would modify this max open files option? My OS is the latest version (10.7.4).

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian:  is is very difficult to pin point the software that would have modified it. I suggest you should have a look at all applications or hardware installed and most likely culprit could be products that deal with databases, network operations or file management systems. Cant really tell as we do not have this issue at computers at our office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have any suggestions on where to start looking for software that would modify this max open files option? My OS is the latest version (10.7.4).

@Ian: Please look for files /etc/launchd.conf, $HOME/.launchd.conf or /etc/sysctl.conf. These are the common files where the limit may exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines