• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"You Do Not Have Enough Access Privileges" What?

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2009 Dec 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm beginning an Illustrator CS4 training book that comes with lessons you install on your desktop. The lessons require you to use their files but you are instructed to choose and "Save As" so you will be able to work on them.

Each time I attempt to "Save As" a warning message displays telling me I can't save the illustration because I don't have enough access privileges!!!

Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue? After spending a lot of money on the program plus the book I should have all the privileges I want!!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

When you go to Save or Save As, it automatically tried to save it to "Templates." Change save destination to downloads/desktop/etc. then click save.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

I was having the same issue trying to save a template. I was able to solve this issue by locating the destination folder within the Adobe Illusrator folder on my computer, right clicking "Get Info", and then giving my account read and write access

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Thank you! Was trying to save a new template, so right-clicked on Illustrator 2021 and changed to read and write access. Worked perfectly 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Windows?  If so are you logged in as an administrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a Mac. No, not logged on as an administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about Mac's but I suppose there's a way to log in as an administrator to troubleshoot if that will fix the problem.  Create a new account and make sure it is a top-level admin account and then see if the problem goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea how to do that. I shouldn't have to

try and manipulate to gain access to a privilege that sh

ould already have! Thanks for your response, it's appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this knowledgebase article from Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528

this will help you create an admin account (what they describe as being a "root" account, which gets its name from Unix)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you by any chance try copying the files to your hard drive first instead of working off of the Disc?

If yu did not do so then do so now and lets us know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, I copied everything off the disc and ejected it. That isn't the problem I am assuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2009 Dec 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would then check the directory that the files are located in to make certain the privileges for all listed users are read / write.

If you are on a Mac then you right click or control click on the folder or volume that the files are in and from the contextual menu choose Get Info and go to either ownership and permissions or sharing and permissions depending on the OS version.

Then you can change it to read write.

Keep in mind that if the volume (Hard Disk) might also have the sharing privileges messed up.

You can repair the permissions on both Mac and PC with the Mac you use the Disk Utility that comes with the system in the Applications/Utilities folder.

PC I am not sure how you do this I think the properties panel of the control panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2014 Sep 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original question is five years old, however, here is a simple fix for Mac users.

1. Go to Finder.

2. Find your main hard drive you're trying to save to.

3. If you're using a MacBook, put cursor over drive and double finger tap. If you're using a desktop Mac Control / mouse click.

4. Select Get Info.

5. Go to bottom of box to Sharing & Permissions.

6. Look to the bottom right and find the Lock. Click on the lock to unlock it. Enter in your user password.

7. Select the + symbol at the bottom left of box below Sharing & Permissions.

8. Add "Administrator" and set permission to Read & Write.

9. If your name is also an Administrator you can add that too, but not necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I've just tried this. I keep getting this message when using Illustrator since getting my new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. When trying step 8, I keep getting the notification:

"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission."

Any suggestions on fixing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will probably have to contact your IT department.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried copying to a new file and saving. Did not work. But I fixed it, this way:

1. Copy the content

2. Open an EXISTING project

3. Check if it saves THAT Project successfully first

4. If it does paste your work on there and Save on a new file name.

5. Works? Then Just delete the content you don't need and save again with just your content you had an issue with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Andrew and Shaner. I haven't had the issue pop up lately, so maybe Shaner's suggestion fixed it. If not, I can try Andrew's idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me for the first time ever.... Very odd. I tried Shaner's instructions and it didn't work yet, but I am able to save to my Dropbox, so I did that for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you go to Save or Save As, it automatically tried to save it to "Templates." Change save destination to downloads/desktop/etc. then click save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This is the exact answer I was looking for!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You fixed it!  So much frustration with such an easy fix.  Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good call, thanks for the suggestion! Ran into the same issue and this answer helped me fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just saved me a huge headace ! thank you !!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue trying to save a template. I was able to solve this issue by locating the destination folder within the Adobe Illusrator folder on my computer, right clicking "Get Info", and then giving my account read and write access

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Was trying to save a new template, so right-clicked on Illustrator 2021 and changed to read and write access. Worked perfectly 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines