• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"You must click on a non-compound, non masking path to create text along a path" while using Type

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey. I've already created a shape in illustrator, then I went to select the type along a path tool and the message "You must click on a non-compound, non masking path to create text along a path" I'm not sure what else I should be clicking on so that I can use the tool. 

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

You said :

Hey. I've already created a shape in illustrator

I said:

Select the path and go: Object Compound Path > Release

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

I found this thread while experiencing this issue. Discovered solution and hope this helps:

It is counterintuitive to me when you are trying to fill a shape with text but ...

rather than in the shape area, click on the path itself 

and you will get what you want – placeholder text inside your shape/path

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there is no option to release the compound path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I release the compound path? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to do that. lol How do I find the object compound path? Sorry I'm new to Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said :

Hey. I've already created a shape in illustrator

I said:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I figured out how to release the compound path, it's working. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that. I'm still receiving the same error message. What step am I missing in this equation?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you detail the steps to create the path that gives you this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Hello. I am receiving the same error message and I tried to cluck on compound path but it is not highlighted for me so I cannot choose it.  Any thoughts?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Hello. I am receiving the same error message and I tried to cluck on compound path

By @defaultnkxmc010ridh

Clicking on a compound path is what you should *not* do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, what should I do if Object Compound Path > Release and Object Clipping Mask > Release are both inactive already (only Make is available to me), but I'm still getting this same error message when trying to create text on a path? Feel like I've tried everything I can find suggested on the forums, but this is still driving me up the wall! I would really appreciate some help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot with the selection shown and the Layer panel open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can when I am on my other Mac! Thanks, I'll post that tonight. Really appreciate the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this?

Screenshot 2021-09-09 at 02.03.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what tool did you use to create the selected object? And what tool do you use to make the Type on a Path? It might help if you could turn the show arrow on that layer and let us see what the selection is. I'm stymied by what appears to be Corner markers at the center of the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you expand the layer with the selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I am unable to type on circle I made I keep getting the message I cannot type on a compound path.

Whe I got to release the vompound path the release is unavailable only the make is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show your artwork with layers panel (layer opened, so we can look inside)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone else suggested clicking on the line around the shape rather than the entire shape. That worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the only thing that worked for me, thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the "be kind and respectful" popup when I only ever come here when I'm insanely frustrated out of my mind by Adobe. Yeah, with the "Area Type Tool" you have to click on the line around the shape, NOT in the "area." SUPER intuitiuve Adobe, thanks for making me search a forum for that dumbness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need to use the area or path type tool at all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZl_3sldjZc&list=PLVqhHu3CSohVwRnnhFMenXrV1XpRBZlOC&index=8

Have you ever wondered about all those Type Tools in Illustrator? And do you really need them all? In this video you will discover how you can save a lot of mouse miles by not using all the tools and still creating all the text objects you want. About this channel: My name is Monika Gause and on ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the path selected, go to the Object menu at the top of the screen. Click on that, then drop down near the bottom to Compound Path. "Release" will be one of the options that appears. Click on that.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines