Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Raster Gradients?

Participant ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.

Although I have been using Photoshop for many years, I am new to Illustrator.

I am under the impression that gradients are raster, and am therefore wondering - surely this means that gradients should be avoided if you want the image to be truly scalable - otherwise it seems pointless to create a vector image, if the gradient won't upscale with the rest of the image?

Can someone confirm if gradients are always rasters, and therefore need to be avoided.

Thank you all in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Gradients in Illustrator are not based on pixels and are scalable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gradients in Illustrator are not based on pixels and are scalable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ton,

does this mean that a photoshop .grd file will also be vector and ok to use in illustrator, or are photoshop gradient files raster?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop gradients are pixels, you can zoom in and change the color of a single pixel in the gradient, which is not possible in Illustrator because they are made using algorithms

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Onca again - thanks Ton.

I'm still trying to get used to Illustrator, and having a hard time working out the different ways of doing things.

So, I'm presuming that if I am online looking for Illustrator gradients, I have to ensure that they are Illustrator gradient files, as opposed to Photoshop gradient files. Do Illustrator gradient files have a different file extension from .grd?

I have no idea how to tell one gradient from another 😞

Thank you for your patience - sorry for my newbie questions 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gradients can be saved and shared as swatches. They don't have their own extension. Swatches files are Illustrator files and have the .ai extension

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines