Highlighted

Rasterization of modestly large heatmaps impossibly slow in Illustrator 2020

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to rasterize a heatmap generated in R as part of a multipanel figure. The heatmap is ~1800*250 with simple tiles. Rasterizing this figure in R takes < 1 second, and exporting the entire figure to an image in Illustrator also takes very little time. However, rasterizing just this heatmap in place in the AI file essentially never completes. I ran for 6 hours and reached ~2% completion, after a total of 6 crashes. This seems to me to be a significant bug, rather than a complexity issue.

Overall, the rasterize function in AI seems to be unusable, except for extremely simple designs. Even scatter plots are extremely taxing, which is laughable on a 2017 Macbook Pro with 16gb RAM and a 3.5 GHz dual-core processor. As someone relatively new to the Adobe suite, I'm disappointed to see that performance is substantially worse than open-source alternatives.

Correct answer by ragman922 | Community Beginner

Thank you. It seems my issues with Illustrator 2020 are ackowledged by Adobe and are far from isolated. I will try the beta version before canceling. https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40807978-new-illustrator-2020-laggy-and-slow-on-the-simples

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Rasterization of modestly large heatmaps impossibly slow in Illustrator 2020

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to rasterize a heatmap generated in R as part of a multipanel figure. The heatmap is ~1800*250 with simple tiles. Rasterizing this figure in R takes < 1 second, and exporting the entire figure to an image in Illustrator also takes very little time. However, rasterizing just this heatmap in place in the AI file essentially never completes. I ran for 6 hours and reached ~2% completion, after a total of 6 crashes. This seems to me to be a significant bug, rather than a complexity issue.

Overall, the rasterize function in AI seems to be unusable, except for extremely simple designs. Even scatter plots are extremely taxing, which is laughable on a 2017 Macbook Pro with 16gb RAM and a 3.5 GHz dual-core processor. As someone relatively new to the Adobe suite, I'm disappointed to see that performance is substantially worse than open-source alternatives.

Correct answer by ragman922 | Community Beginner

Thank you. It seems my issues with Illustrator 2020 are ackowledged by Adobe and are far from isolated. I will try the beta version before canceling. https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40807978-new-illustrator-2020-laggy-and-slow-on-the-simples

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid that it is rather difficult to tell something about the issue you are facing without taking a look at the actual file.

Can you share this (or a similar) sample .ai file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your fast response. Linked is a cleaned version of the figure with other panels and unnecessary info removed. The issue still persists with this version, as well as general sliggishness and intermittent freezing after opening the file. https://northwestern.box.com/s/kkk7hrrh0rfr3dgf2t6x6efl1f0xm7mr 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there are too many points:

Paths: 533534 (242 open, 533292 closed, 2134136 points

You could try Photoshop, which has no problem with your file (when saved with PDF compatibility).

You can also mention it as a problem here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It seems my issues with Illustrator 2020 are ackowledged by Adobe and are far from isolated. I will try the beta version before canceling. https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40807978-new-illustrato...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 0
Resources