• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: All my Illustrator files are showing as PDF!

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the mistake of opening an ai file on my PC with Acrobat Pro and now all my icons have changed to PDFs, however I do not have illustrator on my PC so I can't switch the "opens with" to illustrator.  It only show software on my PC and items available in the microsoft app store.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

thank you,

Carole Turner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try downloading the trial of Illustrator to use to change them back but this will be only a temporary measure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CarTurn1 wrote:

"now all my icons have changed to PDFs"

Carole Turner

Hi Carole,

When you say "all" your icons, do you mean all or just icons with the .ai extension? Or another extension?

If you don't have Illustrator installed, I can't think of any reason you would want any file to open with Illustrator. Which application do you want the files to open with?

I think I'm misunderstanding something. Please clarify.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a mac and a PC side by side (for work).  Both work off the same servers and I have folders that are shared. For instance I receive in an ai file from a vendor and I move it into my transfer folder, work on it on my mac, then the ai and pdf are moved onto memory sticks or servers for storage. My PC is the primary computer I work on during the day.

I had some ai files yesterday that I wanted to look at quickly so I opened them with acrobat on my PC.  After that, when viewing the job folders on my PC, all the ai files adopted the PDF icon, so I'd have 2 files with the same names, both showing as PDFs but one was the ai file and one the PDF. (the folders view fine from my mac) 

I turned on file extensions on my PC so I can at least which is the ai, but I would like to be able to change the icon as well.

thank you,

Carole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines