• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Really big file size in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on a portfolio that uses roughly 20 JPEGs.

Cropped, resized and compressed them all using Ps to bring down the file sizes to between 60KB and 400KB. The folder that contains ALL images used in the Illustrator project is 3.5MB (illustrator sizes.png, attached).

The Illustrator file is 66MB (bottom file of same image).

How is that even possible? It's almost 20 times larger than the total file size of all the images.

Other than those images, the project contains flat coloured blocks, and a small amount of text (illustrator screen.png, attached, to give you an idea), across 11 artboards of 1920x1080.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

The amount of pixels stays the same when compressed and when decompressed you get them back. Saving as PNG is not an option to compress them more than jpeg.

Just tweak the PDF compression options to reduce the filesize.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator decompresses the images.

When linked, they stay the same (compressed) size.

When embedded they become uncompressed part of the Illustrator file.

When the Illustrator file is saved with the Create PDF Compatible File option checked, the images will be embedded in the PDF part (even when they are linked).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I saved the images from Photoshop I used the JPEG Quality slider to bring the file size down from a few MBs to a couple hundred KBs.

I was under the impression that saving as JPEG effectively rasterizes the image. Or is this sort of compression something that can be turned on or off by the software using it?

I've been Placing the images in Ilustrator, and not checking the 'Link' option, so I assume they're embedded.

The idea is to save this portfolio as a standalone PDF when finished, to be sent as email attachment. Hence the need for a small overall file size and embedded images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, compressed files can be decompressed, sometimes without losing quality, but in the case of jpeg with you are losing details that are thrown away during compression.

When saving as pdf (make sure to save as a copy), you can turn off Illustrator editing capabilities and control the level of compression for images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...you are losing details that are thrown away during compression." I wanted to throw those details away. I understood and accepted that those were the terms of compressing the image.

I did not know that once compressed an image could say it was one file size and turn out to be another (which is pretty irritating to be honest).

Anyway, would saving the images as PNG instead of JPEG sidestep the whole compresson issue?

The final PDF will only be viewed on screens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The amount of pixels stays the same when compressed and when decompressed you get them back. Saving as PNG is not an option to compress them more than jpeg.

Just tweak the PDF compression options to reduce the filesize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Just tweak the PDF compression options to reduce the filesize." This worked. Can get the PDF to around 3MB with acceptable image quality.

Good to know that Illustrator can 'disable' compression I guess.

Thanks for the help! Appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines