Recolorizing rasterized objects

New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating designs in Illustrator that contain many individual elements that, when printed, create a smooth unbroken repeating design. To accomplish this, I export the design from Illustrator to Photoshop. In Photoshop each element is rasterized, then visible layers are merged, then filter --> offset, then when I'm happy with how it looks, the imaged is flattened saved as a .png file.

My problem: I need to recolorize these designs but I can't select the individual elements in them. 

My question: Is there a way to edit the individual elements in my designs??

Thanks to all

ConnieM

TOPICS
Draw and design, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't flatten your Photoshop files. And if you need to do that, always keep an unmerged/unflattened one around. If you are exporting to .png (or other non-layer formats) your document will be flattened anyway, so why bake it in.

As for your issue, had you left the individual elements on a layer, you could theoretically do whatever editing is possible (not seeing your design, I'm widely guessing). What can be done now that it's already flattened, again, can't advise without seeing your design, but I'm guessing it will be tough.

Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Roaring Mouse - Thank you for your reply. I know all the stuff you suggested, but the insstructions I was given to create the repeating design was to merger visible layers, then flatten the image to save to a png file. After I made this post I thought of just saving my photoshop file as a .ps file rather than a png as a copy file. Which is essentially what you are telling me to do. But as I was playing around with this in Illustrator, I discovered a tool I have never used before - Edit > Edit Color > Edit Color Balance. This has created some spectacular effects on my designs. So thanks, again, for your suggestions. Take care!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines