• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recommended color profile for PNGs

Contributor ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create colour versions of logos I provide them in both Pantone and CMYK formats. 

In addition to providing vector formats for clients, I also provide PNGs.

My questionā€¦ from which file should I generate/export my PNG ā€” the CYMK or the Pantone? The colours in the PNGs do appear different on screen depending on which I choose.

Should I be changing all colours to RGB in Illustrator before exporting to PNG? 

What is the best practice when exporting to PNGs? 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

If you prefer the Pantone version as png for onscreen representation, I would suggest to save the Illustrator file as a copy, give it a name with RGB in it, convert the copy to RGB (File > Document Color Mode > RGB) and use that for the PNG export.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

There is no such thing as  CMYK PNG file. So, if you try to export one, it will be converted or rejected. There is also no such thing as a spot colour PNG. To keep control, do the RGB conversion yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Hi,

If you want to represent Pantone Color more accurately, don't convert from CMYK to RGB. Shouldn't you work in RGB from the beginning?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you prefer the Pantone version as png for onscreen representation, I would suggest to save the Illustrator file as a copy, give it a name with RGB in it, convert the copy to RGB (File > Document Color Mode > RGB) and use that for the PNG export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing as  CMYK PNG file. So, if you try to export one, it will be converted or rejected. There is also no such thing as a spot colour PNG. To keep control, do the RGB conversion yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you want to represent Pantone Color more accurately, don't convert from CMYK to RGB. Shouldn't you work in RGB from the beginning?

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create a logo, you probably start with CMYK.

Pantone colors are defined as Lab colors and the preview the same in both RGB and CMYK documents (with Overprint Preview on).

When you export RGB from a CMYK document, you get the CMYK preview.

When you convert CMYK to RGB, it does not convert the Pantone, but you will get the RGB preview, which will be closer to the Pantone color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Well, I didn't say that. Pantone-> CMYK-> RGB has a problem. Pantone Lab-> RGB should have been OK.

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It's looking like the consensus is to convert to RGB before export which makes sense. The client had received companion PNG logos, from another agency, exported from both Pantone and CMYK and wondered why they look different onscreen. I'll attempt to explain. So I'd like to give all the 'correct answer', not sure I can do that on this system...??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear the answers helped you.

"I'd like to give all the 'correct answer', not sure I can do that on this system...??"

I am not sure either if you can, give it a try and let us know if you can on this new system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like I was able to do multiple correct answers. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines