• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reduce file size of PNGs from Illustrator

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm supplying a bunch of PNG images to a web developer. They told me the files are too large because, "When we run them through an on-line compressor, they reduce in size by 50% or more."

I am using Save For Web (Legacy) from Illustrator CC

My settings are:

PNG-24

Transparency ON

Interlaced OFF

W: 1000

H: 1000

There don't seem to be any other settings I could adjust to reduce the size of the output.  The web guys are no help beyond, "make them smaller".

I can shrink the output files by using a third-party app or website, but would prefer do it through Illustrator if possible.

Am I missing anything?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Resaving the Illustrator export in Photoshop as PNG with the Smallest Filesize option will reduce it a lot without losing quality (it's lossless).

I went from Illustrator export 430 KB to 248 KB with Photoshop resave, but the online site made it smaller; 139 KB by losing information.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Export for screens instead.

If that is still not enough, try the online service yourself. Or maybe the web developers convert your PNG 24 to a PNG 8. With Export for screens you can create a different PNG 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Try to use this method for png file reducing.

Screenshot_2.png

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried Export and Export for Screens and got the same file size as with Save for Web.

Did more reading about the "tinypng" web tool... apparently it uses some compression not used by Illustrator or Photoshop. Seems to work well, I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I apology my mistake.

Go to Export and select Export for web.

Screenshot_4.png

then you got this window.

Screenshot_5.png

There you can see the option to adjust the size of your png file.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tinypng's web site says this: " By selectively decreasing the number of colors in the image, fewer bytes are required to store the data. "

That would work, but if you're going to accept messing with the colours why not just use JPEG, which also does that to reduce size. PNG was invented to be lossless and precise, as a rival to JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, tinypng's site makes the excellent point that JPEG doesn't support transparency. So if you're happy with JPEG-like distortions and damage to the original but need transparency it's a good choice. Can't see Adobe doing it though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resaving the Illustrator export in Photoshop as PNG with the Smallest Filesize option will reduce it a lot without losing quality (it's lossless).

I went from Illustrator export 430 KB to 248 KB with Photoshop resave, but the online site made it smaller; 139 KB by losing information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What online site? I tried this method and it unfortunatley only went from 686 KB to 682 KB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

tinypng was mentioned, but it will delete some information from the image, so it reduces the quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines