Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

relinking multiple instances of the same link in Illustrator

Participant ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So I see the latest version of illustrator still doesnt treat multiple instances of the same link as Indesign does. That is if I want to relink 50 + instances of a single file I need to go through each and every link and manually replace them - Why dont you make it function the same as Indesign in that I can chose to relink all instances at once or chose to relink the individual files as I see fit?

Why do you release an entirely new version of the Apps without taking into account basic things like this that people have been requesting for years???

Please add this functionality, its a basic bit of script that greatly increases productivity - Honestly should anyone even really need to suggest this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Hi,

I was dealing with the same issue a long time and I finally found a way to do it. It is really simple. Once you have your linked instances in a document, save it and then, if you want to change all instances at once, just move original instance to another folder. Illustrator will tell you, that some links are missing and if you want to re-link them. Hit yes button and then Illustrator will show a box where you can re-link or ignore it. Click a little checkbox on the left to change it all at o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

For those who need this, if your linked file is another .ai, the work around that worked for me was putting the artboard that I want to be linked in the place where the one I no longer want linked was originally placed. eg. I have artboards 1, 2, and 3 in the same order. I was originally linked to artboard 2 and want to be linked to artboard 3. I move artboard 3 into the second position, so now the positions of the art boards are artboards 1, 3, and 2 and save. Back in main work file refresh all

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try the scripts in the below link to relink the same image to multiple instances at once

Remember last folder location lost with Mac Lion updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Carlos, but thats not exactly what Im after - Illustrator will look into the last folder I was in for the links but I still need to manually re link each file. This can take over half an hour of just pressing the same buttons over and over and waiting for it to respond...ANYONE who uses Indesign knows that links can be handled a lot more efficiently & SHOULD be.

Please team Illustrator address this issue, just make Illustrator treat links the same way Indesign does - is that really too much to ask? I understand why you keep certain features out of certain programs, but there is noway using indesign for what I am doing is more efficient. One you added the ability to add artboards into Illustrator you should have overhauled the links section accordingly.  Where do I vote for this feature if the Illustrator team is not going to respond or even acknowledge this genuine and much need request??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should note to add insult to injury Illustrator gives me the spinning beach ball after EVERY manual re-link of each individual file...usually its only a second or 2 but that can go up to a couple of minutes - as you can imagine waiting a few minutes in between linking 50 + files can get a little tedious & is an utter waste of time WHEN I KNOW Indesign could achieve the same results with the click of one button and within a few minutes max. PLEASE, PLEASE FIX!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2019 Jun 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue still in middle of 2019 and I have to replace file 100 instances each time. Dropbox - ai_file_linking_issue.mov - Simplify your life

ADOBE!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2019 Jun 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post bug reports and feature requests to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

In this forum the relevant people won't read them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a separate forum platform for your suggestions for future releases.

You can transfer your thoughts to this section if you want to come to life in future versions.

Illustrator Future Forum

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already have, they wont do it unless they want to. they dont care about their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi courtney, let's give it another try. I have written several variations of the script try versions 1 to 3 and other clones below. If none of these work, please post screen shots of what you need, I might be able to adjust the script for your needs.

Re: Is there a way to create a keyboard shortcut to relink images in Illustrator CS5?

Remember last folder location lost with Mac Lion updates

Re: [ Branched ] How to relink all embedded images under clipping mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Carlos, while I dont really want to dig around inside my work mac and add third party scripts for something that should be a no brainier of an update from adobe i guess at this point I have to resign to the fact Adobe doesn't care at all about their customers or their requests for basic feature and long over due bug fixes. Adobe is cancer and the sooner I dont have to use any of their software the happier I will be. Anyway its Friday afternoon here and Ive nearly finished for the week, I'll probably give your scripts a shot next week. thanks again....its funny, and disturbing, that a random individual like yourself would try to solve our problems but Adobe just keeps on ignoring this suggestion as well as ever other basic suggestion (i.e the clipping masks within Illustrator not actually clipping transparent pixels)  Thanks man, you deserve Adobes 13 billion dollar + revenue from last year more than they do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and here we are in mid '22 - me manually linking 50+ instances of an emoji, that my colleague 'lost' the original file of. Couldnt agree with you more much like most designers. Adobe and their monopoly need to end, how do we bring this about? 
Anyone who has had a hiccup with auto-renew billing and trying to get them to delete your card details is aware of their cancer status. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you were still using Illy I would say move your linked file into the same folder as the Illy doc, open Illy doc. and/or update: multi link to same file now available... but since you're single handedly ending their monopoly by buying other soft, this info is moot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was dealing with the same issue a long time and I finally found a way to do it. It is really simple. Once you have your linked instances in a document, save it and then, if you want to change all instances at once, just move original instance to another folder. Illustrator will tell you, that some links are missing and if you want to re-link them. Hit yes button and then Illustrator will show a box where you can re-link or ignore it. Click a little checkbox on the left to change it all at once.

Now all your linked instances should be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're the bomb! Such a simple work around and you saved me so much time 🙂 Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Thank you! Thankyou!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very strange that the 'apply fix to all' box only works in this exact manner - thank you so much for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this, it saves me a lot of time, linking 250 images in one page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! Such simple and so genius!!

Absolutely annoying thing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great trick duly noted! 
Now we need a trick for when you don't have the original link 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! TY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For those who need this, if your linked file is another .ai, the work around that worked for me was putting the artboard that I want to be linked in the place where the one I no longer want linked was originally placed. eg. I have artboards 1, 2, and 3 in the same order. I was originally linked to artboard 2 and want to be linked to artboard 3. I move artboard 3 into the second position, so now the positions of the art boards are artboards 1, 3, and 2 and save. Back in main work file refresh all the relevant links and it should update the way you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely hate this. When working on multiple sketches of a design in the same doc the whole file becomes super big just because I'm using an image. Every time I copy the design, it copies another instance of the image instead of just using the same instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand the issue of having super big file when you have just copies of the same instance.
But for the replacement issue, I dont understand why you don't just replace te original file instead of relink each instance inside Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know in my workfow, we are using extremely large files, so when making proofs for customers we use low res versions of all the links to keep from bogging down the computer and to increase efficiencey of our workflow. We keep seperate files for high res and the low res so we don't accidently send low res files to printing. So we need to relink files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines