• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove Canvas Size Limit

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been tremendous requests to remove, or expand, the current size limits of the canvas in Illustrator in the following thread.

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/20395555-re...

There was only one response from Adobe personnel in October 2017, and my understanding is they no longer are part of the project.

Can we have someone from Adobe followup on this request since it has received a lot of votes.  I don't know if that feature request forum has been depreciated or not, or if feature requests should be made at a new site.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mischief  is vector has  an insane and  as good as infinite canvas and zoom

( loud music playing video)

Mischief Zoom Limits - YouTube

just a art program at the moment but interesting possibilities

Mischief Infinite Canvas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree on this ., Make it larger . Corel is doing it already ,why cant adone jump on this as well. I know so many people who have left adobe to corel for this same reason and im tempted to do it also and use my money for what i need instead of what i cant get . I dont like scaling a image verus being able import a full size with hassle. If adobe doest make a change i will and i know many more who will as well. Adobe makes more than enough money to make a simple change to make things better for us  and to keep us from going to corel .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done! New feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the larger canvas is available, but I cannot just work with the artwork and have it automatically expand its maximum as needed.  I have to specifically create another file and specify a larger-than-227 artboard for this feature to be available.  It should be available live.  As artwork from schematic is scaled up to 1:1 the file should just take it seemlessly instead of trying to scale up in the original file; run into the wall; start a new file with an oversized artboard; copy/paste from original to new; and then finally attempt the scale-up.  Just let the max be the max in all cases.  And if you're working with (e.g.) magazine artwork, the canvas could appear smaller for the sake of navigation, but if working with OOH, the canvas just naturally expands.

FEATURE REQUEST:  Have a preference setting for the canvas to be X units of padding beyond exisitng artboards.  Essentially, the canvas is a bounding box for all artboards with padding.  Example: Canvas Padding = 10 in. (or ft. or %.... user choice of value and unit), and so a single 5"x5" artboard would have a 25"x25" canvas; and if adding another 5"x5" at 1" spacing to the right, the canvas would be 36"x25">  And if I drag the one of the artboards 50" away from the other (for whatever reason) the canvas will encompass them both with 10" all around, dynamically.  The user wouldn't have to even consider additional step to have the workspace/canvas accommodate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you really need that flexibility, set up a new file with 1 artboard measuring 22,700" X 22,700". Set up all of your other artboards afterwards at any size you want (inside the first artboad). You'll have over 1891 square feet of space to work with. 100 times more space than with previous versions of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a the only workaround that I have found that works.

However, I do not understand why it cannot simply adopt the new versions limitations and why this is controlled at the level of 'document creation'.

This section is not meant as a response to your recommendation, I just want the adobe users & developers to be aware:
It's worth noting, when you recieve artwork from other suites, example corel, affinity etc; and you import them into illustrator, it uses the old canvas limits instead of the new ones for some reason.

Not only does it use the old canvas limits, but it also creates a clipping mask around the artwork and hides whatever exceeded the old canvas limits.

If a print house uses Adobe Acrobat or Illustrator software to ingest, inspect and process artwork they could risk large losses on large format prints if they aren't the most attentive and pedantic users.

I use illustrator often and I am always worried when i recieve and process artwork, worried it won't come out right because I can't trust it to intepret the documents my clients send me correctly. And as many users have pointed out: Adobe's competitors have already proven it's not only possible, but it's possible without sacrificing performance. The last print house I worked at completely abandoned the suite because of this, which was really difficult for me because their toolset was what I am most proficient with.

Definitely not-cool considering they're supposed to be industry leading, and the have one the largest user bases of paying customers for software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a print house receives a PDF for printing then they should not use Illustrator to process that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines