• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove Myriad Pro from all Adobe apps forever

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not like Myriad Pro and want to remove it from being the default for pretty much everything Adobe makes. Starting new files with templates saved with a different fonts open with Myriad as the default font. What happens if I just delete that entire font file from the computer? Will our entire Adobe DC suite have a giant fit?

Thanks,

Jack

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Create a new document in the color mode and size that you want.

Choose: Window > Type > Character Styles

Double Click the "Normal Character Style"

Choose the Basic Character Formats option

Change the Font Family to something you like

Click OK

Save the file with a recognizable name in the New Document Profiles folder

To make it easier to find when you create a new document:

In the Illustrator Preferences > General  check the Use legacy "File New" interface

You can choose your preset when you create a new

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it will be very difficult to remove Myriad Pro, it is more or less "baked in" the Illustrator application.

But you can create a new document profile with another font as the default Character style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jack,

You should be able to make a fundamental change of default font, if you find the right way of naming it, see this old (a bit unupdated) Working with the AIPrefs/Adobe Illustrator Prefs file  (follow the link with that name).

Preference file location:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/preference-file-location-illustrator.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is probably not going to work Jacob.

According to your own document, changing the startup file (new document profile) is the way to go:

"Among the countless preference settings are the default font (only up to Version 10; from Version CS on, the default font is specified in the startup files, Adobe Illustrator Startup_CMYK and Adobe Illustrator Startup_RGB, and the change must be done in Window>Type>Character Styles)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton,

Actually, the quote is an(other unupdated) error on my part: I believe the right way to put it would be: only up to Version 10; from Version CS on, the default font is>can also be specified in the startup files ...

I will amend it; there are also a few other outstanding things/updates on that page. Edit: amended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

It does not matter whatever you set as a default font in the prefs.

The startup (new document profile) file will always overrule whatever font is set as the default font in the prefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton, I hope you will forgive my using your own words against you.

Re: How to permanently replace Myriad with Helvetica?

Apart from that, you are right in any case, of course: even changing all the startup files would obviously fall short of the original OP specification from all Adobe apps forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right.

For documents without a profile the default font from the prefs is used.

But the only way to get a document without a profile is by opening a jpeg or other picture.

For all other documents you have to modify the startup document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite, Ton.

This might form the basis of a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate y'all taking the time to get back to me on this, but I'm working with Illustrator CC 21.0.2 64-bit on Windoze 10. The *_RGB & *_CYMK.aip files appear to be for previous versions. There are a ton of *.aip files in the Illustrator folder, but not seem to be clearly what I'm looking for.

That being the case I'm thinking what I'll do is copy all  Myriad font files from my c: drive to a backup; note what folder they are in  and then delete them. Make copies of the font I want as default, rename them as Myiad, and put them in the folders as replacements.

I shouldn't have to change the default font for every time I start a new Illustrator file. That is not a feature. I see that as arrogance on the part of Adobe coders/managers who think they obviously know better than their customers ever could.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jackt65511718  wrote

That being the case I'm thinking what I'll do is copy all  Myriad font files from my c: drive to a backup; note what folder they are in  and then delete them. Make copies of the font I want as default, rename them as Myiad, and put them in the folders as replacements.

that sounds crazy.

you don't need to change the default font every time you start a new file. just change it for the document profiles you commonly use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to change the .aip files (whatever they may be).

Just create you own document profiles with the default character style changed to what you want and save them in the New Document Profiles folder.

A New Document Profiles folder can be found in the Illustrator applications folder > Support Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously I have no clue how to change the default font. Where is that magic clickie to do that? If I click on type I see this, with Myiad selected.

I change that to another font and then save that as a template.

I open a file from that template and bingo, back to Myriad as the default font.

Although all I want is a blank sheet with something other than Myriad as the default font I try selecting the font I want putting in some bogus text in that font and saving that as a template. Go back and open a new file from that template and although my bogus text is in the proper font Myriad is again the default font.

I am obviously doing something profoundly stupid here, but I cannot seem to kill Myriad as the default font.

Thanks,

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open the document profile AI you want to use. open the paragraph styles panel. double-click on Normal Paragraph Style. change the font to whatever you want. save to Adobe Illustrator Settings>your_Language>New document profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new document in the color mode and size that you want.

Choose the Basic Character Formats option

Change the Font Family to something you like

Click OK

Save the file with a recognizable name in the New Document Profiles folder

To make it easier to find when you create a new document:

In the Illustrator Preferences > General  check the Use legacy "File New" interface

You can choose your preset when you create a new file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I was going left to right, top to bottom to try and find where paragraph styles was hiding.

Saved a template and the desired font was the default.

Thanks again,

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that worked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see anything that says 'normal'. I am fighting with this problem endlessly. I need to use a particular font NOT THAT STUPID MYRIAD PRO and it is at the other end of the alphabet. I leave it on what I want and open the next image and it REVERTS TO THAT STUPID MYRIAD  and I have to scroll through a hundred fonts to get back to what I want.

I hate this and it wastes my time which Adobe has no right to do. I want to use the one I need and I want it to remain in place until I CHANGE IT, not adobe.

Can this happen and if so how?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/starbird+parrot  wrote

I do not see anything that says 'normal'.

Read my answer above:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned earlier, I do not see the word normal anywhere. I received an email saying you had a reply but cannot locate it by clicking the link. It shouldn't matter but I'm on a Mac.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/starbird+parrot  schrieb

As mentioned earlier, I do not see the word normal anywhere. I received an email saying you had a reply but cannot locate it by clicking the link. It shouldn't matter but I'm on a Mac.

Thanks

Please open the Character Styles panel and show us a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i.e. this:

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 18.25.38.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but I don’t know where to find your answer. The link brings me to a page with a gazillion answers and I don’t see a way to search for your name. I tried looking at the time mark but didn’t see it.

If you know how to make this nightmare stop would it be possible to let me know here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your frustration is valid; hence why Ai is losing market share to emerging products like Sketch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines