Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing solid area from a clipped image

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys.

I've been learning to use illustrator for about 4 and half months now and I cant seem to figure out this problem...

So I've clipped the outside edge of this image but now I would like to remove the white space between the branches.  When i draw  polygon of that shap, place it over and click the "minus front" option it essentially removes the clipping on th eouter edge.  Any advice on how to remove that white space between all the branches.  Thanks guysHSH tree.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

hi, you need to create a complex path. In other words the outside of the tree as one shape, the white pieces of the tree as one shape on top of that, you then minus the top shape to form a complex shape in Pathfinder. And then use it as a clipping mask.

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

here is a quick video to give you a basic idea of creating a complex path to minus from another path and to create a clipping path from that final shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Thanks, the PDF seems to work fine. You select the tree in the drawing first, then go to Object -> Flatten Transparency and that will "expand" the internal bits in the tree, so they essentially become editable curves. You then need to do what Grant recommended and at the end basically creating a compound path that is also a clipping mask. Hopefully this makes sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload the Illustrator file in your reply so I can have a look at it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zoon

Sure. I attempted attaching the .ai file first and it keeps telling me theres an  issue with the "postscript".  I have saved it as a cloud doc so I could invite you to edit if you can't do anything with it in either of these formats.  Thanks for taking a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, the PDF seems to work fine. You select the tree in the drawing first, then go to Object -> Flatten Transparency and that will "expand" the internal bits in the tree, so they essentially become editable curves. You then need to do what Grant recommended and at the end basically creating a compound path that is also a clipping mask. Hopefully this makes sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also a typo in SECURITY, might wanna fix that 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh snap.  Good looking out.  Much appreciated haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, you need to create a complex path. In other words the outside of the tree as one shape, the white pieces of the tree as one shape on top of that, you then minus the top shape to form a complex shape in Pathfinder. And then use it as a clipping mask.

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Grant. 

I'll look up a tutorial on complex pathing and give it a bash.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is a quick video to give you a basic idea of creating a complex path to minus from another path and to create a clipping path from that final shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines