• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

removing symbol file from user defined directory

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a custom symbol directory with several symbols of which I would like to delete just one of them. I cannot find a method to do this. I am potentially going to create many user directories with potentially thousands of symbols and right now it seems that the only method to delete a single symbol is to delete the directory and start again. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Do you mean from a symbol library?

Open the library file as you would a normal AI file. Open the symbols panel. Delete the symbol and re-save the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean from a symbol library?

Open the library file as you would a normal AI file. Open the symbols panel. Delete the symbol and re-save the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Doug says, open the file “as if” it’s a normal Illustrator file, and the reason for that is that it is a normal Illustrator file behaving as a library when you choose it from the Libraries panel.

You can choose any Illustrator document from the Libraries panel to act like a library without saving it as a library first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the advice. Even though I am a new user, I am a little embarrassed that I didn't figure that one out.

It seems that (as a windows user) the notion of managing symbols as discreet files (contained in a linked Library "folder") would better represent the nature of how files are managed, as well as make my task far more intuitive.

Regards,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom, it goes back to how Illustrator was in the early days. The save as library command was added because too many users got confused that all documents can be libraries without doing anything special except pointing to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about removing an entire symbol directory? I can't find the file itself for some reason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A symbol library is part of the new document preset.

To create a new file with a diffrerent symbol library you need to create your own new document preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines