Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing text on a path

Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have a text on a path, is there a way to remove it from the path, without having to copy/paste or to rewrite it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vaca burra,

A simple way is to DirectSelect the path (without selecting the Type) and copying it (thus creating a separate path), then deleting the Type on Path object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand you. I want to recuperate the text, I don't want the path, I want the text but not on a path, just the simple text. In Freehand there is a botton, you just clic there and you have your text again. There is no comand in illustrator to remove the text from the path, without having to delete or copy it?

El 15/09/2010, a las 12:50, Jacob Bugge escribió:

vaca burra,

A simple way is to DirectSelect the path (without selecting the Type) and copying it (thus creating a separate path), then deleting the Type on Path object.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not really what you want to do but I found an unusual occurrence in Illustrator.

with the direct select tool select the path and then shift select the anchor points and go to Object>Path>Remove Anchor Points.

Now you have text but no path you can edit the text with the text tool but you cannot select the path since there is none.

You cannot change the shape of the text flow either.

As for what you want to do if I am correct is remove the path and end up with a straight text string.

I don't think there is a way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it doesn't really works, it makes strange things that you can't control. It's then easier to copy the text and paste it in a normal text box.

Isn't it stupid that illustrator don't have a command that says "Remove text from path"? it would be so simple.

El 15/09/2010, a las 13:43, Wade_Zimmerman escribió:

This is not really what you want to do but I found an unusual occurrence in Illustrator.

with the direct select tool select the path and then shift select the anchor points and go to Object>Path>Remove Anchor Points.

Now you have text but no path you can edit the text with the text tool but you cannot select the path since there is none.

You cannot change the shape of the text flow either.

As for what you want to do if I am correct is remove the path and end up with a straight text string.

I don't think there is a way.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't it stupid that illustrator don't have a command that...

Yes.

And that...

And that...

And that...

If you're getting excited about this one, you're in for alot of excitement with Illustrator. This list is quite long.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vaca burra,

As you have probably deduced, my answer was based upon the opposite of the meaning of the OP. And you obviously already had the only answer, working with what we have.

It's then easier to copy the text and paste it in a normal text box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a script that may help: Detach text from path:

http://kelsocartography.com/scripts/#nvkelso

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this just now...it changed my work efforts thus far, and I do not think I can recover it. Undo-ing does not get it back. I think I need to start over entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This works well and saved me lots of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, Jane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread, but I was having the same problem today and wanted to post how I did it for future reference. 

I had to select each of the anchor points on the path with the direct selection tool, then copy and paste and you have the path only. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to select every single anchor point. Just select the path with the group selection tool (works best when you click on an anchpr point)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines