• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Repeated resizing or repeated transform actions

Enthusiast ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign, if I have many images having different heights, and I want their height to be same, let's say 75 mm. I just change the height of one, then choose the option of Object>Transform sequence again individually. This does the job flawlessly.

How can I do this in Illustrator?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Maybe this looks more like what you want:

This script proportionally resizes all selected objects according to the height of the lowest selected object.

http://illustrator.hilfdirselbst.ch/dokuwiki/en/skripte/javascript/height_proportional

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Transform panel, enter the Height of one image and press Return.

Select the next image and choose Object > Transform > Transform again (Cmd or Ctrl D)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method doesn't work. The other images is resized randomly after Ctrl+D as well as after choosing the command from the drop down menu. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried it with images that were the same size, but what this method is doing, it adds the same amount to the other images, so it will not work with images that have a different size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you plan to define the resizing in percents (e.g. 90%) instead of  the linear units, width or height or both, you can select all the needed objects and choose Object > Transform > Transform Each (Shift + Alt/Opt + Ctrl/Cmd + D)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I wish all the objects were equally sized initially and I could use percentages. They aren't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

arjun,

I believe you will really enjoy setAllTheThings in this set of free JohnWundes scripts,

http://www.wundes.com/JS4AI/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have mentioned it in the original post. If I mention only the height in the plugin box, my images are squished disproportionately. They have the same height indeed but the aspect ratio disappears. I'm surprised by the Adobe team of developers. They included this simple resize feature in InDesign and not in Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

arjun,

The JohnWundes setAllTheThings script lets you select the desired values of both W and H (or either (which may be appropriate in other cases) by removing the other one in the first option box), then it gives all paths the same values of both.

If you only know the desired new height to start with, you can start by scaling (or otherwise changing) the first object in the way that gives you to have both height and width for the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this looks more like what you want:

This script proportionally resizes all selected objects according to the height of the lowest selected object.

http://illustrator.hilfdirselbst.ch/dokuwiki/en/skripte/javascript/height_proportional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This script works flawlessly like magic! I think I should request a feature in Illustrator for basic proportional resizing of objects like Adobe has in their InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton,

This seems to be a day of scripts.

The weather seems to have serious mood swings here, beween (near) frosty and hot; and maybe the beginning of a long drought like last year. How there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Jacob, today they did run the sunny_windy script, perfect to do some work in the garden.

And we can use some rain too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines