Highlighted

Repeating pattern with patterned swatches

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I am trying to create a repeating pattern using motifs with patterns on them. Illustrator says: patterns cannot contain anything painted with a pattern. Is there anyway around this? For instance, I have acorns that I have made with a plaid pattern on top. I then want to use the acorns in another pattern. Is there a way to do this? Please and thank you!

Topics

Draw and design, Feature request, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Repeating pattern with patterned swatches

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I am trying to create a repeating pattern using motifs with patterns on them. Illustrator says: patterns cannot contain anything painted with a pattern. Is there anyway around this? For instance, I have acorns that I have made with a plaid pattern on top. I then want to use the acorns in another pattern. Is there a way to do this? Please and thank you!

Topics

Draw and design, Feature request, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can edit your pattern in the Pattern Maker (Double click the pattern swatch in the Swatches panel)

See here for more info about patterns:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/create-edit-patterns.html

You could try to split your current pattern into 2 separate pattens.

Select the acorn(s) and cut them

Click the save a copy  option.

Delete the plaid and past the acorn(s) in place.

Save another copy

Combine them in objects as separate fills in the Appearance panel.

Layered patterns.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great I'll give that a try. Thanks so much!

Laura

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines