• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace multiple objects in illustrator?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2016 Aug 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tree.JPG

I have a plan with circles representing trees with differents sizes. So, I want to replace all of these circles by another shape (circle with peaks) while keeping the size of the originals circles. That it possible? help plz. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2016 Aug 30, 2016

There is a script to change selected shapes to your selected symbol.

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 2.32.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 2.33.12 PM.png

http://ftp.kaleidoscopechicago.com/_aJYjgsPJ1TfnCR

FILENAME:   SYMBOLS_Swap Shapes.jsx 

1000 Bytes

The URL will expire on Oct 29.

download and install here

Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC 2015.3/Presets.localized/en_US/Scripts/SYMBOLS_Swap Shapes.jsx

The script is really amazing as this will resize all you items. For maps you should be using symbols anyway, to make your file run faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a Graphic Style from your circle with peaks. Then select one of your round shapes, and Choose Select Same Appearance from the Menu. 

You can then apply the Graphic Style to all of your circle at once. 

This will work best if nothing else had the same combination of fill and stroke color, and stroke-size as your circle shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks SJRiegel. Almost worked!! I tried to crate a Graphic Style from my circle with peaks but only recorded fill and stoke and the peaks didn't appear there. So, the problem is to create a Graphic Style from my circle with peaks. Can you tell me the steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2016 Aug 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the peaks are not a live effect, they would not be part of the style. 

Having seen Mike's post for the script that uses symbols, I now know that the script is the better way to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a script to change selected shapes to your selected symbol.

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 2.32.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 2.33.12 PM.png

http://ftp.kaleidoscopechicago.com/_aJYjgsPJ1TfnCR

FILENAME:   SYMBOLS_Swap Shapes.jsx 

1000 Bytes

The URL will expire on Oct 29.

download and install here

Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC 2015.3/Presets.localized/en_US/Scripts/SYMBOLS_Swap Shapes.jsx

The script is really amazing as this will resize all you items. For maps you should be using symbols anyway, to make your file run faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you all!

Mike, I've installed the script but when I will use, says to "enter the number of the symbol you want to replace each selected object". What does it mean? I saved the symbol but asks to put a name and not a number. Sorry I don't understand a lot of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you all!

Mike, I've installed the script but when I will use, says to "enter the number of the symbol you want to replace each selected object". What does it mean? I saved the symbol but asks to put a name and not a number. Sorry I don't understand a lot of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Count from the top (or the left) of the symbols pallet to get the number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5.JPG

Now, appears this error...even putting any number

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a quick google of this error  - it seems to occur if other layers of your document are not visible, are locked, or any combination of the above. 

It it's not feasible to unlock all of your document layers and make them visible, then try cutting the objects out of a copy of your file (in case something goes wrong), pasting them into a new document, running the script there, and then pasting them back -- as suggested here:

Error 8705 target layer cannot be modified | Techyv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finnaly! Copy paste through a new document work!! Thank you all for your help. Resolved issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to mark Mike's response as correct so future users searching the question will know that this one contains a correct solution to the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Could you reup this script somewhere? It is exactly the thing I am looking for, but the download link has expired.

Thank you very much,

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second the motion! Might be easier just to put it on Pastebin or something permanent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also try the Zamena script from post #4

It is in my opinion easier to use, it just takes the topmost object in a selection (which can be a Symbol) and applies it to the other selected objects (which must be ungrouped).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really need this script! Could you please share a new link with me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MikeGondek,

I could really use this script, could you upload it once more?

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get a replacement script from here: Kelso Cartography

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A script is the way to go.

I like this one:

This script replaces all objects with the topmost object of the current selection. The size of the object that replaces will be modified according to the size of the objects that are being replaced.

zamena_size [Illustrator Praxis]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm a landscape architecture student and ran into the same exact problem. I was able to select same appearance to grab them all (even though they're grouped!) and then apply the Roughen effect under Effect > Distort & Transform. It even makes them all slightly different, which is great for my conceptual plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines