• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reset star shape tool?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow I narrowed the star shape tool so that it makes shapes like straight lines instead of a star. How do I reset it? For example, a four-point star looks like the letter X right now.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Make a really big thin star, hold down Command/Ctrl, and drag towards the center. Let go of Command/Ctrl and enlarge the star by moving away from the center. Do that a few times and the inner radius should come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a really big thin star, hold down Command/Ctrl, and drag towards the center. Let go of Command/Ctrl and enlarge the star by moving away from the center. Do that a few times and the inner radius should come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2011 Feb 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  Moving in and out while holding down (or not) the ctrl/cmd button does the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Option-click with the Star tool and you should get an options dialog in which you can reset the Radius 1 and 2.

Picture 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry, this seems to reset them only for the star that gets created when the dialog is OK'd. The next star you drag out with the star tool will retain the old, zero setting.

DF

Edit: You can always quit Illustrator and relaunch it to reset the star size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also very helpful suggestion. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

akileen,

At least here (10 on Win), apart from Alt/Option+Clicking, you may also DoubleClick somewhere with the Star Tool selected.

In the Appearance palette/panel, you can set either New Art Has Basic Appearance or New Art Maintains Appearance.

But if your default defaults to something strange, as seen upon restarting Illy, the preferences have probably fallen ill. If they are, you should be able to cure them by pressing/holding Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the problem for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this really helped me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems at least for me that whatever "interactive" changes I make during creation remain the default.

That's why the holding ctrl/cmd and dragging resets the radii.

To reset the number of points tap the up and down arrow keys while you are dragging out the shape.

This should reset the tool to whatever you chose permanently.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob_Bugge's answer did it for me. Ctrl+alt+shift resets the shape to normal so no need to eyeball any straight lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was the short cut I was looking for 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, cheych.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing, SaitoHiro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines