• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing bounding box without scaling image

New Here ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if anyone can assist. I want to change the size of a bounding box without scaling the image i.e the image must stay the same size and bounding box shape and size can change. (similar to cropping the image).  Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not possible. The bounding box of an object is intrinsic, it's not a separate transform. Simply add a rectangle of whtever size you need and group it with your image to get an object with padded borders.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not possible.

Really?  Surely there must be a way of placing a photo within a bounding clipping box, such that the original aspect ratio of the photo is not destroyed beyond repair whenever the bounding box is resized (without having to re-place the photo).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found one way.  See my answer re temprorarily moving layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't see the irony that your avatar is in some ways the same topic of the question? ie the focus of the image being of the desireable scale in bounding area, in your case a circle? No?

Thank you to the people in this thread who then simply answered helpfully by suggesting the masking feature rather than kneejerking, internet drama style with a dispiriting ''It's not possible".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if this is what you want.

Place an image.

Click the Mask button in the Options bar.

Make the mask larger or smaller.

You can also give it a color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bee,

As I (mis)understand it, you may create a rectangle corresponding (in size and position) to the part of the image you want visible, then select both and Ctrl/Cmd+7 (Object>Clipping Mask>Make).

If you wish to really get rid of the outlying parts, you may do the dirty deed (or crop in Photoshop or something).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clipping placed (linked) images with the bounding box has been possible for a long time (since AI 9 or 10). But its implementation has always been pretty bumpy.

1. Place an image (linked)

2. Select the image, go to the Links palette menu and choose Placement Options. Use the following settings:

ai_placement_options_001.png

Now select the image and clip it with the bounding box.

I don't recommend this method because it may cause some serious trouble. For example, it used to reset the clipping bounding box as soon as you embedded the image. You can avoid that by doing an Object > Rasterize command, but that's just another workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 22, 2016 May 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be the benefit of having a larger bounding box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably not the same situation as the OP's, but I'm looking to make the bounding box of one of my objects larger because it's interfering with my work in After Effects after I've puppeted the object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean that the content image resizes as you drag the outer bounding box - uncheck 'Autofit' in the top tools ribbon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corrie1000  schrieb

If you mean that the content image resizes as you drag the outer bounding box - uncheck 'Autofit' in the top tools ribbon

Which top tools ribbon are you referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I thought it was an InDesign question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe group a no fill/stroke rectangle with your artwork. Make the rectangle the desired size of the bounding box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PinnacleGame,

You can use the solution by Ray just above this post (larger nostroke/nofill rectangle).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anyone still wants to do this, I was able to in Illustrator 2020 CC. I had placed image files from Photoshop into Illustrator (on the same layer) and most of them had huge bounding boxes surrounding a smaller image. It was awkward to try and select a particular image with another image's bounding box getting in the way. So, I first placed each seperate image on its own layer, then locked and hid all the layers except the top one. Working on the top layer, I placed a rectangle over the image at the size I wanted the bounding box to be. I then Selected All on the Active Artboard, right-clicked and chose Make a Clipping Mask. This resulted in a way smaller bounding box with the image inside of it, good enough for my needs. I then locked and hid this layer, and proceeded to follow the same steps with each layer down the stack. I did it this way so I wouldn't inadvertently change something or get distracted by everything else going on in the document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that tip, it worked a treat.

I was trying to do a monogram wall art, but the bounding box around the letter was way bigger and it wasn't even.

This was making it awkward to use the align tool to centre it.

I made a rectangle to cover just the letter and made a clipping mask. 

Perfect... 

Thanks again for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can. No need to group with any other rectangle on the top of it. Select the box with the image, and then make a cliping mask of it (menu or command/ctrl+7). The bounding box will clip the image when resizing by the handles.

Capture d’écran 2020-04-26 à 18.26.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked for me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not so sure if it's the same problem you had. But my issue was I wanted to place an artwork inside another artwork but its bounding box was bigger than I wanted but I couldn't crop it after placing. Later on I came to find out that you can crop the image/artwork just before placing as shown in the image below.

Kelvin98A2_0-1598954960216.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Layers panel to temporarily 'move' the image(s) you don't want resized so their layers are not children/descendents of the bounding box (or path) you want to resize.  Then resize the box as desired.  Finally, restore the original layers structure (so the image is once again cropped/clipped to the box you just resized).  The layers temporarily moved out of the Clip Group will retain their original size and placement.

There ought to be an option to resize the Clip Group without repositioning or resizing its content, but if that is genuinely lacking, the above workaround also allows some but not all of the content to be resized and/or moved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've found a workaround that works for me. I wanted to resize the bounding box of a couple of paths that were embedded in a larger figure:

Select the images & paths of which you want to resize the bounding box

Copy those into a new drawing

Resize the artboard to match the desired bounding box size using "edit artboards"

Save the file

"place" the file into the original larger figure

presto: the bounding box has the size of the artboard you edited earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm sure there's still somebody out there struggling with this. I've only just found the solution for InDesign users. 
If you are working in InDesign: (1) Select the image; (2) Right click on the bounding box; (3) you will get a pop up menu; (4) in the pop up menu go to FITTING(5) a submenu will pop up when you hover on FITTING; (6) in the submenu slect "Clear Frame Fitting Options" (However for me that was a temporary fix).
Pop-up Menu.jpg

For a more permanent fix, in the same sub menu select "FRAME FITTING OPTIONS". (7) a 'dialog box' will pop-up for you to adjust the settings as you wish.  I recommend you uncheck the AUTOFIT option and select NONE as the CONET FITTING OPTION
Dialogue Box.jpg

KMak
Medium of The Universal Creative Mind
kmak@roguexd.co.zw
ww.kmak.co.zw | www.roguexd.co.zw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... but this is the Illustrator forum. And InDesign solutions don't apply at all in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Convert it to a clipping mask. Object > clipping mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines