Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RGB to CMYK conversion website results differ in Illustrator? Novice needs help

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I hope someone can help. I'm going to sound super old school as I still use Paint Shop Pro for all my web graphics but am trying to re-create a new logo in Illustrator which I'm not proficient on at all sorry. I have used numerous conversion websites to convert my RGB colour to CMYK. The issue I get is the CMYK they all advise is not the same as what Illustrator says.

For example I'm trying to convert R19 / G85 / B117 or Hex 135575 from PSP and all the conversion sites tell me this = C84 / M27 / Y0 / K54 but when I add this to Illustrator it changes the RGB to the following = R0 / G82 / B121 and Hex to 005279.

For me to retain the original R19 / G85 / B117 in Illustrator it tells me the CMKY should be C94 / M63 / Y35 / K16. I've tested and printed both CMYK colours from Illustrator and visually I prefer the colour the converters are suggesting even tho that changes the original RGB.

Which do I trust? The converter sites CMYK which I visually prefer OR Illustrator?

Thanks

Belinda

TOPICS
Print and publish , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Forget all those "conversion" websites.

Conversion must be done based on color management.

So the conversion needs to keep in mind what you are seeing (depending on monitor setup a particular RGB color won't look the same everywhere) and how the color will be printed (depending on printing process, inks used and paper used, CMYK color won't look the same after every print).

So you need to calibrate your monitor, set up color management accordingly and then you can sort of rely on what you see. C

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor , Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

"trying to re-create a new logo"... usually is done in reverse of what you are doing RGB-to-CMYK.  In reality, a new logo consists of branding and establishing a brand identity.  Maybe I am getting ahead of myself.  Typically, your logo would start with "spot color(s)".  Pantone for instance.  As Monika has suggested, you would ( or I would ) refer to a Pantone Solid-to-Process print guide book.  Your color on my monitor looks like a Pantone 357C to me.  Given that, my eyes are different than yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're the one defining the logo -- use the colours you prefer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget all those "conversion" websites.

Conversion must be done based on color management.

So the conversion needs to keep in mind what you are seeing (depending on monitor setup a particular RGB color won't look the same everywhere) and how the color will be printed (depending on printing process, inks used and paper used, CMYK color won't look the same after every print).

So you need to calibrate your monitor, set up color management accordingly and then you can sort of rely on what you see. Color preview won't be 100% exact.

Some RGB colors cannot be printed at all.

Your best option will be to get a color book with printed samples and compare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Monika said - those conversion web sites are useless and actually dangerous. They should be prohibited. Do the conversion on proper local color management if in place or simply use your gut feeling on what presents the best visual approximation.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"trying to re-create a new logo"... usually is done in reverse of what you are doing RGB-to-CMYK.  In reality, a new logo consists of branding and establishing a brand identity.  Maybe I am getting ahead of myself.  Typically, your logo would start with "spot color(s)".  Pantone for instance.  As Monika has suggested, you would ( or I would ) refer to a Pantone Solid-to-Process print guide book.  Your color on my monitor looks like a Pantone 357C to me.  Given that, my eyes are different than yours.  Add to that my monitor is different than yours.  But lets just say your client likes what I have come up with ( 357C ).  In Illustrator, you apply that color to your artwork for the print file because now you have an established and approved color.  What a lot of designers ad web designers over look is this standard approach to logo design.  Logo design is not or should not involve RGB or CMYK color as a first step.  I used Photoshop's Color Picker to find, under my Color Settings, the color values consisted of 51R - 102G - 51B, 95C - 31M - 100Y - 20K, and HEX @ 336633.  So, all of these numbers originate from the established Pantone 357C.  The purpose of starting with the spot color is consistency.  The print vendors, sign makers, etc., all will refer to the original 357C.  My only advice is if you like a particular RGB as seen on your screen, use Photoshop's Color Picker to find the closest Pantone color.  Photoshop will also give you the CMYK and HEX color info, but be forwarned, the visual representation of color on your monitor will not be an accurate representation of the actual color.  As Monika has suggested, the best way to determine a color is a reflective color from a printed color swatchbook ( i.e., Pantone swatchbook ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for all your replies. This has been very helpful. It's clear I'm a bit out of my depth, just trying to help a friend but great to know the colour converters are not reliable and thanks for the Colour book & Pantone advice.

Many Thanks

Belinda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines