• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RGB to CMYK Logo change issue

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently creating a logo pack, I've designed the logo in RGB format and now I want to take into CMYK versions.

The problem I'm having is that when putting my RGB colour through an RGB to CMYK colour converter, the shown colour on the converter website looks right, but when taking it into illustrator, it is then turning the colour from a teal to blue? 

The RGB colour is: #3E9E9F

Examples:
1. How the colour looks fine in RGBScreenshot 2020-11-18 at 15.12.52.png

2. The colour loss when adding in the CMYK colour numbers which turns it blue, however on the converter website it does not show blue? Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 15.20.03.png

Do I have something set up wrong, or is there an easier way to do this? 

Thankyou, 

Reece

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What colour profile are you using? What colour profile is the online converter trying to simulate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just forget about those online converters.

The vast majority are just crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm quickly finding that out I must admit.

I was just trying to find a way to quickly and accurately convert my RGB logo designs to Printable CMYK files for clients to print without huge colour loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Do I have something set up wrong, or is there an easier way to do this? "

Yes, just use color management.

Set up you Edit > Color Settings with a general preset for your region and use the cmyk values that you get when you enter the hex code in a CMYK document.

These online converters don't use color management and give totally wrong results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help! 

Although I just tried that, and although it looked fine on screen I just tried a test print to see if it worked and to print came out blue, unfortunately. 

I think I need to find out a way to match a CMYK colour as close to my RGB teal as possible 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You tried out? On your desktop inkjet printer?

You can't compare that to offset printing.

What will be the final production method?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I just tried out a quick at-home printer, which I know does not bear the same results, but it's showing up so far away from the intended colour. 

I currently have no intent to print this, although I have always worked at a marketing company creating work for online-only use. Now I want to be able to offer a more well-rounded service so I'm creating a full bottom to top logo pack mockup. This is where the problems have popped up for me with the printing side of things annoyingly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically you will have to learn about printing, color management, calibration and creating PDFs.

In order to set up colors: see that you get a printed swatches book suchas this: https://www.torso.de/Farbstandards/cmyk-Druckfarben/cmyk-Farbtabelle/Farbkarte-cmyk::680.html

This is not a recommendation, just to show you an example of how they look.

And then also set up color management correctly and use it for conversion. Then compare with printed samples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for that Monika, you've been a massive help to guide me in the right direction so that I can bring these packages together in the future. 

I'll definitely be purchasing swatches book! 

Have a great week. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are actually working backwards.  A really nice Teal is Pantone 326C.  However, that is just my opinion based on looking at my Pantone Swatchbook ( which, by the way, is printed and therefore is reflective color ).  Why start in Pantone swatch color?  Because you can ( hopefully easily ) reliably convert to CMYK and RGB via a standardized, industry wide approach.  Typical CMYK conversion is 94%C, 0%M, 43%Y, and 0%K.  You might get slight deviates from Pantone+ Guide, so use Pantone's Color Manager to assist.  RGB is a different story and typically is based on your Color Settings' profile.  Which leads me to another point regarding creating color on a computer.  What you see is probably not what you will get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines