Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate canvas in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

Some great new CC updates. Still can't rotate the canvas in Illustrator though, why is that one so difficult? Photoshop, check, InDesign, check, Illustrator, nope, not important.

Arg.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

The good news is the Illustrator Team is working on it. You can upvote and add your comments to the feature request here:  https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/19196641-illustrator-rotation-of-the-artboard. There's also an update about it there from Avinash Singh Kotwal, Senior Product Manager for Adobe illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

This feature is now part of Illustrator 25.3.1 release available in Creative Cloud Desktop from 21 June 2021 - https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/rotate-view.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

If you do not want unintended rotation of the artboard, you can revert the same by pressing Esc. key

If you do not use Rotate Canvas in your workflow then you can disable the preference to Rotate the canvas through track pad with Edit > Peferences > General and uncheck "Trackpad Gesture to Rotate View". This preference is available in AI 25.4 and above

rama_ai_0-1629739273208.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The good news is the Illustrator Team is working on it. You can upvote and add your comments to the feature request here:  https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/19196641-il.... There's also an update about it there from Avinash Singh Kotwal, Senior Product Manager for Adobe illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is now part of Illustrator 25.3.1 release available in Creative Cloud Desktop from 21 June 2021 - https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/rotate-view.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally! woot! So happy this is finally here, it's such a game changer for packaging. Still some bugs to work out but well done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally understand this can be helpful for package designers, but is there a way to turn this off. I've again just wasted time trying to understand what I accidentally touched to rotate my canvas back, and now I don't know how to make it exaclty at 0 degrees without re-doing a bunch of work from my previously saved document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rama, I'm working with my Wacom tablet, and find that a simple hand gesture can rotate the canvas without my intent. I still haven't figured out what that specific hand gesture is, so it's incredibly frustrating. I've used Shift-H to rotate it back to normal view at least 5 or 6 times today. Is there a way to de-activate rotate canvas? I can't find it in Preferences.
Thanks,
Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm right there with you Nancy!

I would love to have in the preferences the ability to shut this off. Somehow it it too easy to hit ctl H without meaning to and I have lost so much time.

Kathleen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not want unintended rotation of the artboard, you can revert the same by pressing Esc. key

If you do not use Rotate Canvas in your workflow then you can disable the preference to Rotate the canvas through track pad with Edit > Peferences > General and uncheck "Trackpad Gesture to Rotate View". This preference is available in AI 25.4 and above

rama_ai_0-1629739273208.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SOOO much! I would have never figured that. Too many symantics. Done! Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't access this function. Whe i press and hold the Hand Tool, the only options are Hand and Zoom.
Please advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't access this function. Whe i press and hold the Hand Tool, the only options are Hand and Zoom.
Please advise.

By @mike dean

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica,
I haven't had any update requests so i'm assuming it's the latest?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

version 25.0 is not the latest. You'll have to update to get the feature.

Latest version is 25.4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks Monica.

I guess that means we don't get update notifications for incremental updates?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you get update notifications for the big updates?

I'm not reading the notifications I get, because I have turned them off in the system (not in Creative Cloud). I can't answer that question, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do yes. I just turned off the banner notifications because there's just so many these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines