Rotate reference point jumps back to default in Illustrator 2019 on Windows 10

New Here ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a dutch version of Adobe Illustrator 23.1 (64-bit) on windows 10 pro.

When I set the reference point to the middle of a circle (or anywhere else) it jumps back as soon as I want to set a value. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong, can someone please help me.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the rotate tool Alt-click the reference point. This will open the dialog box and keep the point.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt-click on the reference doesn't open the dialog box.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it doesn't, then something is wrong. https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/rotating-reflecting-objects.html If that doesn't work, try and restart the computer or reset the preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. Something must be wrong. I have reset the preferences and restarted the computer. This did not work so I deleted illustrator and restart the computer again before installing Illustrator again. It still does not work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, mostly when this goes wrong, these things can be the problem:

• make sure you've selected the object you want to rotate (with the selection tool)
  • Then select the rotate tool
  • Then Alt-click in the center of the circle (hold Alt, then click). When this doesn't work, just Alt click again
  • Now the popup should appear

If it doesn't work you can try to reset the Illustrator Preferences: restart Illustrator, hold Ctrl-Alt-Shift directly after you clicked the Illustrator button. Hope this helps!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. Alt-click in the center of the circle is not doing anything. Also restarting illustrator like you said did not do the trick. I will try and add a picture of how the cursor is when holding ALT.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. As per your query, when you press ALT and drag reference point, it doesn't open Rotate dialog box. That's definitely not a typical behavior. 

Please try this once again in this sequence.

• Create Object
  • Click Rotate tool
  • Without moving anything on screen, press ALT and then Drag the Reference Point.
  • Do not move reference point without pressing ATL, after that it will not show you the dialog box even if you are pressing ALT key untill you click on Rotate tool again. 

Take a look at this GIF

Rotate tool2.gif

PS: Please note the changes in cursor.

If you want, you can report it on our UserVoice page: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This same thing happened to me.  I noticed that when I try to pull up the pop up box by clicking on 'return', the reference point jumps.  Instead, if I am in the still in the 'rotate tool' and hover my cursor over the reference point and click 'option', the pop up box for the rotate tool comes up and does not move my reference point.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines