• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotating does not rotate gradient. Bug?

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a design with a gradient that I need to rotate to fit on our print media.  I can not expand because the gradient will become a clipping mask with all the sections of colors and I need to make a cut line.  It's impossible to create the cut line after expanding.  This issue, that I've never seen before, is that when I rotate the design, the gradient does not rotate with it.  Oddly, it won't rotate with it but, when I rotate it back, it does. I can not nummericly change this because there are too many gradients at different angels and the angles are not round numbers.  How do I fix this?

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please embed your screenshot in your post instead of attaching it. Thankyou.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J2k,

As far as I can see, the issue only applies to the (first rotation of the) AMVCONNECT.

I believe some kind of corruption is a possibility.

What happens if you create a new document and copy the artwork over, as a whole or in in different parts (just select and Ctrl/Cmd+C and then Ctrl/Cmd+F)?

Or you can try to recreate the AMVCONNECT part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing. The image was just that. Copied and pasted out of the design
file and into a new file. It happened again with a gradient from white 100%
- white 0%. I'm not sure why the gradient doesn't rotate when rotating the
entire graphic. But it's even weirder when it doesn't rotate one way but
does another way. I was thinking it would be a setting like enlarging a
graphic with a stroke. I know there's a setting to choose either way. But i
don't see a setting for the gradient rotation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J2k,

Maybe too silly, or silly enough, what happens if you start over and rotate it anticlockwise, twice by 180 degrees and 90 degrees, or thrice by 90 degrees?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if you are serious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And... no answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, serious. Please try it and let us know what happens.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why?  It obviously glitched the first time.  Can you elaborate on what you are suspecting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J2k,

The obvious counterquestion: why not?

You have seen Illy (job description Adobe Illustrator) move in mysterious ways, so you can try to work with them, such as rotating the other way and/or in multiple steps, to see whether you can get it right by the ways it gets itself wrong.

You could also try to see whether you can create a (wrongly) rotated gradient (such as 90 degrees anticlockwise) that will be right when rotated.

Or you can apply the ailing gradient after rotating.

Have you tried to remove the gradient and reapply it, then rotate?

There may (also) be other ways to accomplish it, depending on how the AMVCONNECT part is created.

Apart from everything else, live Effects fail to rotate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the Illustrator file (.ai)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. Has a solution been found?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kymbix,

See what Kurt said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to go to the menu Object > Transform > Rotate or right click > Transform > Rotate.
I was with the same issue and this worked with me. Of course it breaks the workflow, having to go to a menu, etc, but at least preserves the gradient effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, this problem has a simple solution.... (for the whole file, not for a single element)
1) Save the PDF compatibility file and place it back as a linked file... (Link the file to itself is possible, use multiple artboards.)
2) Apply a transform effect (Appearance window, fx icon, distort&transfotm, rotate e.g. 90°) to the whole layer where is the design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines