• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotating Reflected Paths Help!

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some help. I've created a few shapes using Reflection. Now that I have the whole image, I need to rotate it.

However when I rotate it, the reflections of the drawn paths go in strange directions. StraightPaths.JPG

This is what the reflected path looks like as it should be. But when rotated I get this:

BrokenPaths.JPG

How do I keep this from happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

You will need to check if it actually is the case.

Some of the target symbols look like there are effects applied. You need to click on them and check that. If there is a transform effect applied: Object > Expand appearance. When all appearances are expanded, you should be able to rotate without accidents.

Expanding the effects means you cannot edit them afterwards, but doesn't look like you would want to do that anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly do you proceed when reflecting and rotating?

Please show a screenshot with the selected object, the appearance panel and the layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a more complete example and the panels you wanted to see.
StraightPaths.JPG

BrokenPaths.JPG

I've tried using Transform-> Rotate, and just using the rotate handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like some of the mirroring has been applied via effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, what does that mean and how do I fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to check if it actually is the case.

Some of the target symbols look like there are effects applied. You need to click on them and check that. If there is a transform effect applied: Object > Expand appearance. When all appearances are expanded, you should be able to rotate without accidents.

Expanding the effects means you cannot edit them afterwards, but doesn't look like you would want to do that anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Yes that Object -> Expand Appearance worked. Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could have grouped your illustration and in the Appearance Panel apply a Distort & Transform > Transform... > Rotate Effect to the group contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, Thank you! I was having the same problem and Object Expand fixed it, after hours of trying to work it out myself, what a relief. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your entire illustration could be mirrored. If you want to maintain a "live" mirror effect and still rotate the illustration, convert it to a Static Symbol. Dynamic Symbols will not work because the effect remains active when the symbol instance is rotated.

You can continue to edit only 1/2 half of the Static Symbol, for quick editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RockyH, when you work with path and you need to create symmetrical shape, I suggest you to use the "Path finder Palette".

You can see how to use it in Illustrator Support:  How to combine objects in Illustrator

this feature is the same in InDesign: "Create compound shapes" in Illustrator support section: Compound paths and shapes in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines