Highlighted

Rotating to guidelines that are in the image (jpg)

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a scan of an old busness card that I would like to re-use after I make a few changes.  The cards came in an 11" x 14" sheet at the time and they had guidelines on them to show where to make the cuts.  So my scan is of one card but not cut out perfectly - it still has the guidelines - it still needs to be trimmed.

The scan is a 3.88 MB jpg.

How can I rotate the scan to align perfectly with the guidelines?  I am brand new to Illustartor.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

You need to turn on Smart Guides. And you need to edit the Preferences > Smart Guides and then to rotate the cards exactly, you can do it like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nbhpeauqiboh2f/rotate.mp4?dl=0

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Rotating to guidelines that are in the image (jpg)

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a scan of an old busness card that I would like to re-use after I make a few changes.  The cards came in an 11" x 14" sheet at the time and they had guidelines on them to show where to make the cuts.  So my scan is of one card but not cut out perfectly - it still has the guidelines - it still needs to be trimmed.

The scan is a 3.88 MB jpg.

How can I rotate the scan to align perfectly with the guidelines?  I am brand new to Illustartor.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Monika Gause | Adobe Community Professional

You need to turn on Smart Guides. And you need to edit the Preferences > Smart Guides and then to rotate the cards exactly, you can do it like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nbhpeauqiboh2f/rotate.mp4?dl=0

Topics

Draw and design, How to, Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide at least one screenshot that may better show what you are trying to do?

Perhaps with some more clarifications, if necessary.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot with the card info blurred.card.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using the Lens Correction filter in Photoshop to adjust the JPG?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I have not.  Do you mean with the Straighten option within the Lens Correction filter?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean the Transform adjustments in the Custom dialog.

patty_window.jpg

adjustedadjusted

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I see from your other message, You can drag Guides from the Rulers and then use the Rotate tool (R) to carefully rotate the image using the trim marks. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created the Guides from the View tab.  But using R to rotate rotates the guides as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try putting your guides on another layer and lock the layer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.  I created a new layer called guide layer and locked it so that the padlock is white.  I then select the original card layer (which Ps labeled Background) and try to rotate.  Everything moves together.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to move your guides to the guide layer before locking it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain how to do that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  But how to tell when it is straight?  It seems you are rotating the card using the line you drew and then estimating instead of to a known horizontal line.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not estimating. The smart guides show exactly when that reference line is at 0°.

You need to find a meaningful place for that reference line. Since you have ghosted your complete card, I can only use the crop marks. The base line of a text might be appropriate as well.

Remember: you have a pixel image. Illustrator can not magically align it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines