• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 25.3.1, a dot is displayed in En Space when Stroke and Round Caps are added to the text

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helppppp...I'm using illustrator for this file and suddenly dots appeared when I hit the spacebar.

This never happened, and I have been working on this file for 2 months.

And the dots also shows in printouts so I basically cannot ignore them.

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 9.36.44 AM.png

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Hi all, 

We have tried to address this issue in our latest release v25.4.1. Please update Illustrator to the latest version to get this fixed. For more details, please refer to this UserVoice page.

Please feel free to reach out if you still need assistance, we'd be hapy to help. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like a dot leader that would be set in your Tabs (Window > Type > Tabs), but that shouldn't get added with the Spacebar.

If that's not it, would you take a screenshot of the Appearance panel with the text selected and share that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font is that, does it only happen on that font?

Might the file have been created or editied in a foreign version of Illustrator? Try copying and pasting into a new document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to tell from your screen shot, but if you are getting one dot for each space, try going to Type > Show Hidden Characters. It doesn't look like hidden characters, but you are getting them with the Spacebar, not the Tab key.

If this isn't it, show the Character and Tab panels with the text selected.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find it anymore, but I remember something similar reported earlier related to the stroke applied to the text.

Can you share that problem part as an Illustrator file?

Dropbox, CC filesharing, WeTransfer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought about a stroke after I replied, @Ton Frederiks, but wondered why would that apply to spaces only and not the characters?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know, that's what I remembered from the post I cannot find anymore.

I'll search again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the post about dots and spaces, maybe this helps:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/type-stroke-fill/m-p/12119479#M279840

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it Type > Show Hidden Characters they must be spechial character for Enter. Can you check?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me. Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you change the font?

Have you tried copy and paste into new doc, or even going to a new doc and typing with the same font - what happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to be a bug in the current version affecting text set in a TrueType font, and only if the round butt cap is selected on the stroke. If you turn off that, the dots will vanish. It has been entered as a bug. If you'd like to upvote the bug, here ya go:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/43757538-round-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I searched and did not find anyone posted this yet (am I the only one?)... it seems after updating to the latest version on mac (25.3.1) I have a new bug. On fonts (only some) if I outline the font, and choose "Round Cap" from the stroke options, it will put some strange dots after the words (looks like a period). Doesn't happen on every font, nor does it happen on every letter, nor does it happen at the end of each word.
If I go to "outline" the font, the dots dissappear. Is this just a screen glitch?
Thanks for any advice.
Update: I just discovered the dot appears at the front of a 'space'. Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 11.53.14 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I recall correctly, I have seen a few similar threads in the past.

Is this an already existing file?

Try to un-fill the stroke and re-fill again. Or try to copy and paste the text in a new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response pix. Yes, it is to both old existing files and also happens if I create a brand new document. I tried the copy/paste and it did not have any effect. Thanks though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: not sure if this helps to troubleshoot the issue or not... but I just went to change the font to see if maybe it was only happening to perhaps 1-2 fonts, but no, it's the majority of my fonts (but not all). I have a lot of TT fonts and it seems to be mostly those, but yet even some of the OpenType also show the does... it also shows as the preview from just scrolling with my mouse through my font menu. Very strange.
I sent the file to a co-worker and he opened it in an older version (v24) of Illus and did not see the dots.
Perhaps I'll look to see if I can downgrade and re-install v24. (I thought the new rotate canvas was a cool feature though). 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: confirming that I just installed version 24.3 and the problem went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try to open a request on illustrator.uservoice.com | Illustrator Desktop Bugs 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to reproduce this.

Can we see a sample file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, thanks for taking the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems I can not attach an .ai file to these replies...
Let's see if dropbox works.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ql80c4sevy3enpa/round%20dots%20glitch.ai?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interesting sidenote: when I checked my own dropbox link, even the preview window from dropbox website showed the dots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, if you change the stroke to Butt Cap, it will disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed. I see it now.  I was using an OTF font.

It definitely seems to just happen with TrueType fonts.

Definitely a bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

We have tried to address this issue in our latest release v25.4.1. Please update Illustrator to the latest version to get this fixed. For more details, please refer to this UserVoice page.

Please feel free to reach out if you still need assistance, we'd be hapy to help. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines