• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Round corner widget rotates object instead of rounding corner

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Illustrator for 19 years, so I'm not exactly new to it. I've been using the round corner widget for a while now. At first, it annoyed me when it would round the corner when that wasn't what I wanted it to do. NOW, when I want to round the corner, it's rotating the object when I click on the widget. I'm zoomed all the way in and all it want to do is rotate. This is frustrating, I don't want to cut the rotate feature off because I use that as well. Has anyone else experienced this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your experience, I'm sure you're aware the rotate function should become available when the pointer is outside the bounding box, whereas the corner widget is typically seen on the interior (acute side of a given path-angle apex). So it seems you're truly seeing a malfunction; the kind of malfunction that can often be cleared up with a reset of preferences. Have you tried that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset the preferences and it's still doing it. I am inside the box, hovering over the corner widget. The selection tool shows a curve under it. I click on the widget and it rotates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh. I guess it's more questions then...

Have you tried it with the Direct Select tool?

What is your input device? Latest driver?

Did it just start doing this out of the blue?

Is it happening in a particular file, or all files? A particular object, or all objects?

Have you seen any other odd behaviors connected to mouse-clicks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a chance illustrator thinks you're using a touch device?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am just experiencing the same troubles. I have HP spectre with touch screen and pen support, however I have not had this issue with surface pro. For illustrator I am using the program in laptop mode and mith standart keyboard and mouse.

Is there any solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently having this problem - it started out of the blue. One moment the corners are rounding, as usual, the next it's just trying to rotate the shape. Very frustrating, would love to see solutions to this - it's funny because I'm using an HP spectre too but somehow I doubt it has to do with my device because this is a new issue all of a sudden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. I'm using a triangle shape so the widget is extremely close to the edges, but I hover over the widget, see the curve shows under the selection tool, and then when I click, it starts rotating the triangle. I would love to see this bug fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please record a video of that and then post a bug report on http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am very new ot illustartor and have been following some online tutorials. I am halfway through a project and the same thing has started happening with me. Half an hour ago it was rounding the corners, now it will only rotate. Please help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create a new thread and tell us your system and version and what exactly you are doing.

Also: Screenshots help understand.

Did you already reboot the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to me for more than half a year now (I recall first noticing this behaviour around Feburary or March). It's now November and several updates later, and it's still sticking around. Same behaviour as what the original post describes - hovering over the Live Corner widgets shows the cursor change, but then when I click and drag it the whole object rotates as well. Has the Illustrator team been able to replicate or experience the same problem? It's frustrating and slows down my workflow a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello friends, here is the solution to that nasty Adobe bug 🙂

- create a new doc

- create your form BIG, I mean fill the full page

- do your job: it will not rotate. 

- copy/paste on your original document : everything is ok!

Try anything trick like that I think it should work too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's happening to me! Any word on fixes for this bug? Agree is very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also happening to me. Each time I want to round a corner it tries to rotate it. Any news on the bug fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happening to me too.

Shocking that Adobe can have this error on the most simple action, and not fix it in two and a half years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the meantime, try View>Hide  Corner Widget

Use Direct Tool to select the anchor points and change rounded corners using the Properties Panel.

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 11.15.08 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

--

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this suggestion, however this only hides the issue, does not fix the issue.  I have been fighting more and more bugs in illustrator, and this is the latest.  Wanted to post here to help amplify the concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, found a "fix" for this, kind of.  If first you click the corner widget, it becomes selected and then you can push and pull as we were used to.  The widget turns from a circle with a dot, to a bold empty circle and you will have control over the corner round adjustment. See image attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Talk about disappointing. I'm completely new to Illustrator and I'm following the Getting Started In Illustrator Course. I am only on the second lesson, Create and Edit Shapes and I've already run into this problem and found my way to this forum post.

Here's what I have discovered with 10 minutes of searching and playing around.

1. Zoom in to your artboard to 400% magnification and create a rectangle. The corner widgets will only rotate the shape.

2. Zoom out to 100% magnification and now the corner widgets work correctly.

3. Once you have moved the corner widgets and rounded the corners they will continue to work correctly if you return to a greater level of magnification.

I'm 20 minutes into learning the software and already I am bug fixing! Does nobody write good software anymore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't add to my post because apparently I'm not allowed to edit my own posts yet which is a little strange. So I will reply to myself.

I also noticed that if you create the shape at 100% magnification and then immediately zoom in to a higher level of magnification the corner widgets work as they should. It seems the problem occurs when you draw a new shape while zoomed in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble you are facing. I am unable to replicate the issue at my end. Could you please share a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrator
  • A small video demonstrating the issue could be really helpful.
  • Are you using a touchpad or mouse?
  • Is the issue happen while working on a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Does resetting Illustrator Preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) help to resolve the issue?
    Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

I will be looking forward to your resposne.

Reagrds,

Asnhul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Asnhul,

I am using Windows 10 64bit fully updated and I am using the latest CC version of Illustrator. It is a clean install today. As I mentioned in my first post I am following the Getting Started With Illustrator Tutorial and discovered the issues I described above.

The issue occurs using the files I downloaded for the tutorials and I also reproduced the issue with a blank new document.

I hope this helps you track down the issue.

Best Regards

Damian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Asnhul,

I forgot to mention. I am using a Wacom Tablet and a mouse on a desktop computer (PC). I am not using a touch screen device.

I tried reseting the preferences but since it is a clean install I didn't expect it to make any difference. It didn't.

It's too late tonight for me to record a video but if you think it will be useful I will happily record and share a video tomorrow.

Best Regards

Damian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines