• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Royal Blue in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I unable to create a nice crisp royal blue in Illustrator?? Like when I choose the color it looks right but when I apply the color it looks darker and more dull. I had this problem on my version 4 and thought when I upgraded to the latest CC version this would be fixed by now. VERY DISAPPOINTING...... Come on Adobe, you think you would have this figured out and zeroed in.....

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

It may be good to read a little more about color and why a lot of RGB colors are not reproducable in CMYK:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/color.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RGB or CMYK document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently working with a CMYK document, will that make a difference? The weird thing is it displays the correct shade of Blue when I am entering my values and see the preview but once I apply it it becomes a darker and duller shade of blue. Also when I click on it again, it will not be on the same values I entered..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is probably because the color you want is not possible to reproduce with CMYK inks.

What values do you enter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Adobe's fault. It seems to me you need to work up an understanding of things like color spaces, gamut, color management and how it relates to different media types. Getting a brilliant blue in CMYK of course won't be as easy as this is dependent on the actual ink percentages of the simulated print process, possibly even requiring a spot color. On the other hand it would be super easy in RGB to create overcranked colors. Either way, it's really not clear what you are trying to achieve for what purpose. You need to be more specific.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So pretty much what you are saying is Adobe Illustrator will produce the color that represents what the CMYK values will represent once printed and with that being said, are you pretty much telling me it is impossible to create a crisp royal blue image using CMYK?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I see now when I am working in RGB mode, I can create any nice crisp Royal Blue image I want. Thank you for further explaining this for me. I thought it was an issue with the actual preview image of the color or something along those lines. I find it weird though as I have been working in printing for the last 5 years and never had any issues creating or printing with Royal Blue using CMYK documents until now as I am now working at home. In conclusion, am I not going to be able to print or create a real crisp royal blue using CMYK? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That depends on the exact blue. Can you share the makeup of the blue you had no problems with before but are now having difficulty reproducing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have an exact sample from the past, I just never recalled ever having an issue producing a crisp royal blue color or any color before using CMYK, while designing or creating files before. For example though, if I am in a RGB file and I am using 100% blue, that translates to 88%C and 77%M . However, if you I enter those values into a CMYK document I get a darker shade of blue and I can not get anywhere near that royal blue shade. Is that even going to be possible to get anywhere near that printing with CMYK, or am I just better off staying away from those colors all together. If I create an RGB file using that  crisp royal blue and print it off on a printer that uses CMYK colors, will it produce that same or will it look more like what a CMYK document represents those color values as? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be good to read a little more about color and why a lot of RGB colors are not reproducable in CMYK:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/color.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the link and thank you all for your input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of the problem is that nobody here knows how a crisp royal blue looks to you.

If youare printing with the same equipment and the same settings as previously you can achieve the same result whenyou send them the kind of files with the same color definition you used previously. And if that doesn't look the same onyour home computer, then please set up your color management appropriately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines