Highlighted

RTF files automatically opening in Illustrator on Mac

Nov 01, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Is anybody else having this problem? I double click a text file in the Finder, and it automatically tries to open in Illustrator. I set TextEdit to be the default application to open RTF files, but they are still opening in AI.  It's very annoying. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

RTF files automatically opening in Illustrator on Mac

Nov 01, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Is anybody else having this problem? I double click a text file in the Finder, and it automatically tries to open in Illustrator. I set TextEdit to be the default application to open RTF files, but they are still opening in AI.  It's very annoying. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

Select one of RTF files, Open information of file using Command+I, In Open With tab of the dialog change the program to TextEdit and Clcik ChangeAll button.

Hope This helps

Anish

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I tried that. It works until you restart the machine, reopen apps and docs and get back to work. In fact, TextEdit was still listed as the default in the info box.

Also, when I tried option clicking a document to get the contextual pop up menu and select "open with..." the TextEdit app isn't even listed.

It must be a bug within the new CC updates.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Did not help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Is anybody else having this problem? I've restarted my mac - same thing. Pain in the butt.

Illustrator 22.0.1 has bugs!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2017

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator also wants to open all my PNG files. When I changed in the info dialog (in the Finder) it wants to pick Photoshop CS6?!?

I have Photoshop CC 2018 installed. Adobe has screwed everything up.

Maybe do some testing before launch. Just sayin'.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 05, 2018

Copy to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem, too.  However, I'm not sure it is a problem with Adobe software.  I think the problem is that the list of text editing applications that Mac OS X creates for the "Open with" menu.  Somehow it lost the right application (in my case: BBEdit) from the list and it just chooses the first app it finds alphabetically -- in our cases, an Adobe app.

From some Googling, it looks like it might be related to a problem with the LaunchServices .plist file.

There is a free app called "OnyX" which can repair this.  It seemed to help me for a while. Now, my problem is back.

See:

How to Remove Duplicates & Customize the “Open With” Menu in Mac OS X « Mac Tips :: Gadget Hacks

BTW, I am using OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2018

Copy to clipboard

Copied

I was plagued by this very problem for a few weeks.  It was driving me nuts. 

I believe I have resolved it.  And, as I suspected earlier, this is not an Adobe problem.

I did a few things.  I'm not sure exactly which one (or which combination) was the cure so I will list what I did.

1.  Get the OnyX application by Titanium Software.  It is free.  Be sure to get the right version for your version of Mac OS X.

Titanium Software - OnyX

2.  Clean your computer caches.  This will require a reboot when done.

CleanCache.png

3. Rebuild Launch Services.

RebuildLaunchServices.png

4. Restart your Mac in "safe mode."  This will rebuild some caches.

To do this, restart your Mac while holding down the "shift" key.

5. Restart your Mac back in regular mode.  Watch all of your file icons resort to their correctly-associated apps.  Say good-bye to this problem.

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines