Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Run Script from Action

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I need to set a hotkey for running my script. It's very simple in Indesign.
It isn't available in Photoshop, but I use a simple action for it and then set hotkey on it.

But in Illustrator (version 24.3) when i tried to record action for run my script it doesn't simply record a command "run script ..." but it recorded a script's content with path to files. Itmust be very useful for some reasons but i doesn't ned it this. Can I switch off this feature?

I alsa can't use a "insert menu item" method bcause I can't put my script to menu without admin's rules.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

When you're recording your action, go to the top right corner of the actions panel and click the menu button. Then click "Insert Menu Item". 

A new dialog will open up.. 

Navigate to the File > Scripts menu and select the script you want to assign to the action.

Click ok to close the Insert Menu Item dialog

stop recording action.

Enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the way to go, get admin access and put it in the scripts folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it seems impossible. Is there any another way to run script from action?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may possible to try another way, place your script where you have access. And from File --> Scripts --> Other Script to exceute it.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. We use this way now. But for faster access we would like to call it by pressing hotkey. Like we do it in AI and INDD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for mistake, like in PS and INDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Action Options for a shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mixeeff ,

I'm not sure about using a hotkey to run an Illustrator action, but in your Actions panel, if you choose 'Button Mode' from the flyout menu, your list of actions (within their containing folders) will convert to buttons. That way, running an action becomes a 'one-click' step.

You can also add a colour to each action set for clearer visibility.

I've set up all our production studio Illustrator scripts to work in this way and everyone loves the speed and simplicity.

Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 09.23.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by this?

But in Illustrator (version 24.3) when i tried to record action for run my script it doesn't simply record a command "run script ..." but it recorded a script's content with path to files

When I try to record a script run into an action and try File > Scripts, it just shows the file dialog box, where are you getting the script's content, etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you're recording your action, go to the top right corner of the actions panel and click the menu button. Then click "Insert Menu Item". 

A new dialog will open up.. 

Navigate to the File > Scripts menu and select the script you want to assign to the action.

Click ok to close the Insert Menu Item dialog

stop recording action.

Enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2022 Aug 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me!! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines