• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sampling colors outside of Illustrator

Enthusiast ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to use the Eyedropper tool to copy colors anywhere on my computer -- web pages, other applications, and so forth. I start by holding down the Eyedropper and dragging outside the Illustrator window without letting go of the mouse until the mouse is on top of the color I want.

For some reason, I cannot do that anymore. Does anyone know why or how to make the eyedropper work the way it used to?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Check the Fill / Stroke box to confirm you are on the Fill.

And remember it's the tip of the mouse that's active. So if you put most of the mouse on something orange, but the tiny tip is on something black, you will pick up black.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

For anyone looking at this after 2020 from a Mac... you want to make sure Adobe Illustrator is ALLOWED to see your screen. Go to system preferences, click security and privacy. Click Privacy, and then make sure under screen recording that Adobe Illustrator is allowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still works that way for me. which version of illustrator? which OS? are you using more than one monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7, only one monitor, Illustrator CC 2018. Failed on two different computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/jay+fresno  wrote

. I start by holding down the Eyedropper and dragging outside the Illustrator window without letting go of the mouse until the mouse is on top of the color I want.

There is one step I am not reading, so I don't know if you are doing it or not:

• Select the Eyedropper tool (okay to let go)
  • Press and hold inside Illustrator (this is what you didn't write)
  • Drag from inside Illustrator to outside Illustrator until the mouse is on the color you want
  • Release the mouse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's exactly what I do, but you explained it better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't work, it usually changes the active color to black or gray instead of the actual color that the Eyedropper is sampling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Fill / Stroke box to confirm you are on the Fill.

And remember it's the tip of the mouse that's active. So if you put most of the mouse on something orange, but the tiny tip is on something black, you will pick up black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to say now, but yesterday when I tried it, it may have been the fill/stroke issue.

Today, trying it on a different computer, after your suggestions, I put the cap lock key down so that I could see exactly where the eyedropper was, and it worked.

Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh hooray! I love that feature too, and would hate it if it stopped working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me in both Safari and Firefox on my Macintosh with Illustrator CC 2019 (23.0.4).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jay,

thats really helpful, CAPS LOCK! and all in one monitor (using PC 2020 ilustrator version)
Tks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature does not work on new internet browsers. Must be updated absolutely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will report a bug. But I do not know where I should go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

I will report a bug. But I do not know where I should go.

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT solution for me. 

I've tried everything listed here and on YouTube videos and I can't get Illustrator 2019 to work on any web site or app external to illustrator.  Works find within Illustrator, but as soon as I move the eye dropper outside of illustrator and hover over the external element it never changes color, and no matter what I release on it comes out black fill.

This is really frustrating, something that works in Photoshop doesn't work in Illustrator ... does the left hand talk to the right hand at all in Adobe, or do the software engineers work in departmental vacuums?

Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Rob+Ainscough  schrieb

This is NOT solution for me. 

I've tried everything listed here and on YouTube videos and I can't get Illustrator 2019 to work on any web site or app external to illustrator.  Works find within Illustrator, but as soon as I move the eye dropper outside of illustrator and hover over the external element it never changes color, and no matter what I release on it comes out black fill.

This is really frustrating, something that works in Photoshop doesn't work in Illustrator ... does the left hand talk to the right hand at all in Adobe, or do the software engineers work in departmental vacuums?

Rob.

No problem to pick up colors from a web site (Mac OS 10.12, Safari and Illustrator 23)

I just don't know why I would want to do it, because color management (or the lack thereof) would kick in and I would need to double check if it's really the color used on the web site anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking both CC2018 and 2019 now on Windows 10, I'm seeing a different in browsers. It doesn't work in Chrome or Edge, but works in Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes ... not working for Chrome or Edge or IE11 for that matter.  I don't have Firefox nor Safari.

Oddly the eye dropper does work in Photoshop with Chrome and Edge, but NOT in Illustrator?

So the "working" code obviously exists, unfortunate that Adobe don't development teams don't seem to "share" their code??

Cheers, Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Development on Adobe applications doesn't usually allow sharing a "cup of code" from one app to another.

Certain features can used shared libraries (creating PDF, I think is one), but not for more general functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone looking at this after 2020 from a Mac... you want to make sure Adobe Illustrator is ALLOWED to see your screen. Go to system preferences, click security and privacy. Click Privacy, and then make sure under screen recording that Adobe Illustrator is allowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only thing that worked! What a lifesaver! Thank you tons! This also applies if you get a new computer as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i am a total newbie and could not find about an updated solution to this issue, 

I am using a win10 laptop, 2019 illustrator CC and could not pick any color via eyedropper tool on a different file within or outside illustrator. Any idea about how? 

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! This solved it! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this solve! I wouldn't have known where to look otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have the same issue but on a PC, can't for the life of me find security and privacy settings under preferences.  

This is what I found doesn't work:

1. Chrome 107.0.5304.88 (64bit) colorpicking - my only fix is to do a screenshot with FastStone Capture and colorpick the screenshot...that works.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines