• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save as PDF Options in the printer dialog are not supported error in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm on MacOsCatalina. I'm trying to use the features of the page layout on my new Canon TA-20 printer. I'm following the instructions to use the page layout on the printer to print my Illustrator document. When I click on the Canon Free Layout icon, Illustrator is giving me the warning "the save as PDF options in the printer dialog are not supported. My question is, does Adobe allow use of a PDF pop-up and if not, does anyone know how I can still use this feature? NOTE - I'm VERY new to Adobe so sorry if this is a dumb question! Thanks in advance. 

On Canon's website, it gives a warning that says:

• You start Free Layout from a PDF pop-up menu.

Therefore, it cannot be started with application software that does not allow use of a PDF pop-up menu.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

You might need to download and install a PPD in order to print to a PDF on a Mac. Here is a link to the PPD and instructions on how to install it:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add-acrobat-ppd.html

Alternatively, you can use InDesign or an imposition program to layout your pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI...I'm using brand new illustrator version 24.2 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please show some screenshots of those dialog boxes.

So far it sounds like it only wants to tell you that you cannot save that as a PDF from the dialog box, but you can still print. Or did you already try to print and it didn't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your reply Monika! Thank you! I think this may be a canon issue because I realized that I need to install the photoshop driver for the printer. Sorry to waste your time...I'm so new to all of this stuff. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.

May I ask you what this option is about? Does it enable you to print a sheet of e.g. business cards from one Illustrator artboard? That would indeed be an intersting option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layout option that the printer offers enables me to pull documents from any different source and lay them out on the page before printing so I can make the most of the printing space (24" wide) and not waste any of the very expensive adhesive paper that Im using. It would be very advantageous for me to figure it out! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the explanation. Sounds interesting. So you are printing one document and then you can include other documents into the print?

Have you already asked Canon about it?

Can you just dismiss that warning?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might need to download and install a PPD in order to print to a PDF on a Mac. Here is a link to the PPD and instructions on how to install it:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add-acrobat-ppd.html

Alternatively, you can use InDesign or an imposition program to layout your pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Luke! The PDF did print fine (however it didn't print the gradient...I jsut started another post regarding it). I may just have to use InDesign to lay out all of the documents. Thanks for that idea. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. I was suggesting the PPD might enable you to print to a PDF from the Canon print dialog, then you would open the PDF in Acrobat and print to your printer. I did not see your new post about your gradient, but printing from Acrobat may help, also, if there is a print option to simulate overprint, try that, if all else fails you can rasterize the gradient before printing, although this is usually not necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Luke for all of that helpful info! Turns out the issue was a canon issue, not a photoshop issue. After speaking with Canon tech support, they said that on a Mac, I would have to use Preview to be able to use the feature. It's easier to just set the documents up in InDesign as you suggested so thanks for that idea! Also, somebody on my gradient post advised to print from Acrobat. That solved that issue... so good tip with that too! Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you save as PDF via printer dialogue? Save as PDF in the Save as dialog does everything you will need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm saving them with the save as option but when I try to use the Canon layout option, I get the warning that says "save as PDF options in the printer dialog are not supported". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I'm trying to use the layout option...in the printer dialog box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you can't just ignore the warning? The file doesn't save at all?

Then that is that and you can't use that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was waiting to hear back fom Canon before I replied to your other message. The file saves and prints fine but the print layout feature isn't working in Adobe (yet it works from other sources) so it must be something with the Canon settings or how I'm saving my documents in Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika for your responses! I heard back from Canon, turns out it's not a photoshop issue, it's a canon issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines