• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save Copy as PDF - File name changes to ai with a stream of numbers behind it.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently, this has been happening to me and I'm not sure why.

Usually, when I save a PDF of an Illustrator document, I will "Save a Copy" and create the PDF from there. I'll usually save my PDF into the same folder as my working file. 

When I save a copy as a PDF, a PDF file with a name with ai followed by a string of numbers is created. That ai... file sometimes opens up in Acrobat. That file doesn't show up in the folder that I had intended to save the file into. Also, I've noticed that it doesn't always open this ai... file up in Acrobat. 

Using the Control click on the new PDF File Name I was able to find where it is sending these PDFs. Turns out it is sending the files to:
TemporaryItems/(A Document Being Saved By Illustrator)/....

In Acrobat, when I try to Save As that PDF, it will let me rename it and save where I need to. I really hope I don't have to keep doing this, since it really slows my process down.

I've retried it a number of times and have restarted my computer a few of times to see if that would help.

I'm working on an iMac Retina 5K, running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 and running Illustrator 23.1.1. I just updated Illustrator via Adobe Creative Cloud a day or two ago. I am working off of files on a company network.

I've attached screen grabs of the strange "ai..." file that is created and the original file name just to show how it is renaming the PDF. I'm also including a screen grab of the location it is saving the temporary PDF.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you save the files? Is this a server or a synchronized folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we work on files over our server/network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That causes this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I appreciate the short and sweet response. I wonder how you would explain why it has suddenly happened now since we've been working this way since I've been with the company 3+ years now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator has ongoing issues with servers. "It's complicated" as it would be called with people. Searching for errors and fixing the settings on the server might get an effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! Complicated. Understood. Not sure what settings will need to be fixed. Do you, by chance, have a resource we should be looking at to fix the settings with? I'm not even sure where to start, to be honest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me neither. You could check if the system clock is synchronized correctly, but it may just be anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out a solution to this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread is from 2019. Do you use an Illustrator version from that time?

If you have the current version, please try and uncheck the setting "Save in background".

And also check your server settings if you save to a server. This problem is an individual problem and connected to your individual setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines