• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saved file revert to old version

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on 25.2.2 and AI had reverted to an older version of the file after saving and reopening.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try and turn off "Save in Background" in the preferences?

Also: Where do you save? If on a network, please try the local harddisk

This won't fix the existing file, but are future measurements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry about this trouble. We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2021 (v 25.2.3) which contains some stability fixes. Please update Illustrator to v25.2.3.

If it still shows the same behavior, please share the following details:

• Operating system
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 
  • Where you are saving the files (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)? 
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently. 
  • Does resetting Illustrator Preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) help to resolve the issue?

We’re here to help, just need more info.   

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti. Thanks for your answer. I have had this problem for years and thought I was going mad. Many projects ending up printed with mistakes, and me looking like a fool. Re installing and even had Mac technician had a look. Currently the files revert back to older versions after saving. Running a MAC OS Mojave / 10.14.6 and is on Illustrator version 25.4.6. I am working on my my machine and all system updates are up to date. We were told not to upgrade from Mojave as it caused font incompatibilities .

Eduard 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @eduardo29590787,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. This is not the experience we want you to have.

I would like to know if you have tried turning off "Save in Background" from the Illustrator preferences > File Handling as suggested above by Monika?

Anshul_Saini_0-1658432987271.png

Also, if you are saving to cloud storage/ server/ Onedrive/ Dropbox, I would recommend working from and saving the file locally on your Macbook desktop first and then moving it there.

If this doesn't help, would you mind confirming if you are saving your file in Ai, PDF, EPS, or any other format?

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul

I have turned off “SAVE IN BACKGROUND” as suggested by Monika and it seems to be working. The reason why I replied to the post was that Monika said that the bug was fixed in later versions - but now its back with the latest version. It looks like some bug fixes cause old bugs to reappear.

I am working locally and backing up on the company server.

The issue primarily was that after I saved the file, I make PDFs to send to clients. The pdf would be correct but the original illustrator file would revert to a previous back up state - with the result that all the corrections had to be done again as these pdfs would be in compressed low resolution files that is not suitable for print.

What made this difficult, is that one could not pinpoint where and when the error occurs because the problem would sometimes go away. this now makes sense as it seems to reappear after updates)

I am just relieved that we now know that it was not human error - sometimes the tradesman can blame their tools.

(PII removed by moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that worked for you, @eduardo29590787. Would you mind resetting Ai preferences manually to check if the issue persists or not? Also, does this happen with all the files or some specific files?

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the bug is still going strong in 2023. Cost me a couple hours of work and it's really disappointing to see this hasn't been fixed. Turning off background save now so that I can experience the ridiculously long save times once again. Hey, guys - let's work on getting this truly fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jamess35198876,

I want to start by expressing my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and frustration you've experienced. I understand how disheartening it can be, especially when it leads to lost time and effort.

Before turning off background save, could you kindly confirm if this issue occurred with a specific file or with all files? Also, please confirm where you are saving the files (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD).

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there, 

Illustrator 27.4 just lost hoursss of work.  MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)  OS 12.3

I saved my file to the cloud after finishing it around 8pm Friday; visually confimed the changes were updated.  I then tried to save a local copy as well as a pdf, and it hung up a couple times on the export bar but eventually looked like the pdf had finished exporting. Then the application stopped responding so I wasn't able to save my local copy.  This is a small file for ai, with just two effects applied in the whole doc.  Turns out the pdf never saved, even though the progress bar finished.

When I went to open the cloud file today, it had reverted to an earlier unfinished version with no newer versions available in the history.  WTF, Adobe.  Other prople having the same issue for years on end, apparently.  All the more frustrating since I'm at an art residency, and will now miss out on a bunch of the experience I worked really hard to create time for, redoing everything I just lost.  I'm feeling extremely salty with Adobe right now considering we're all paying a lot for this software, they pushed the cloud service on us, but we can't actually rely on it since the work around is to save locally.  That's fine, except when you're paying for software with the sole purpose of being able to use it from different computers and have backups in case of the constant crashes which we're all here noting on the forums as well.  Please Adobe, get this together: for a product suite at this pricepoint from a giant software company, I expect the software to do the basics it's sold for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines