• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving PMS spot colour at a percentage tint into a swatch.

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to save a spot colour at a percentage into a swatch. I am attaching a video because it would be easier to show than explain.

I feel like in the past I was able to save a spot colour at a percentage tint into my swatch panel... I feel like I am going crazy. Maybe I could never do this and I thought I could?

Any insight would be super. Thanks.

CS6, fully updated as per the cloud.

TOPICS
Print and publish , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

You found a good reason not to delete the original spot color.

Even when you only use percentages of your spot color, choosing Select All Unused will not select the original spot.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what are you doing?

Creating a tint and then delete the Pantone swatch? That won't work. You need to keep the "mother".

BTW: WHich version is it? Can you give us a number? Because if you have the Cloud and fully updated, then it won't be CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was creating a tint, saving as a new swatch, and I guess, deleting the "mother".

The version of Illustrator I have is 24.1.2.. Sorry, CS6 is on my other computer, my bad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check Window > Separations Preview if it is still a spot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, in my Separations Preview, it is still showing as a SPOT in there. Also, in my Swatches Panel, the swatches still have the little dot in the bottom right-hand corner indicating that it is a SPOT there also, but I lose the SPOT name and dot in the Colour Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You found a good reason not to delete the original spot color.

Even when you only use percentages of your spot color, choosing Select All Unused will not select the original spot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do find it weird, I feel like I've done it in the past. I asked a friend this question also who works in Illustrator and it doesn't happen to her. I can't explain that. 

But thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder what version your friend is using, I've got quite a few older versions, and they all behave the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ask her and she is using the same version as me! (24.1.2.)

Maybe she didn't play around in the file long enough to create the same outcome and just deleted the "mother" and saw nothing that immediately changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is probably better to never delete your "mother" (or "father").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines