• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving Print artwork as PDF in Illustrator makes it darker/duller

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a print document in Illustrator. 

The document is set as CMYK. 

When I save the PDF, I choose the Adobe PDF preset as "High Quality Print". I also choose to add all the printer marks, and then color conversion is set as "no conversion". 

Yet, when I veiw the PDF in Preview on my Mac, it's much darker than in Illustrator. Maybe it's because I'm viewing the PDF in Preview rather in Acrobat?

Am I missing something? I've tried to find resources, without luck, so I thought I'd try here. 

Thanks for any hints/tips/pointers.

Kate 🙂

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Thanks Michele. 

I finally downloaded Acrobat and it seems to be okay there, so I'm hoping this is right when it goes to print 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preview is not a very reliable PDF viewer.

How does it look in Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't get Acrobat on my computer (until I had freed up some space). Now that I've checked, it looks fine in Acrobat... so fingers crossed. EEK 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you trying to design?

If it is a graphic... I would finish it in Illustrator and then pop it into Photoshop and then save it as a PDF.  I never go wrong doing that.

If it is a layout, then I have other ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a graphic on a print doc. I never knew this was an option, so thanks for that! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not really an option.

It is a good idea for some specific artworks that would cause problems in prepress (such as extensive use of bristle brushes or blending modes that only work well in RGB space). But it is downright destructive to all of the "typical" vector artwork with its fine lines and shapes that need to be sharp in order to be legible. Converting those to pixels when opening in Photoshop will take away all the features that made you create this as a vector artwork in the beginning.

When all you have is issues with color then your only option is to fix your color management. And of course use a decent PDF viewer (which Preview is not).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does it actually look in Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michele. 

I finally downloaded Acrobat and it seems to be okay there, so I'm hoping this is right when it goes to print 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines